Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:20 PM   #1

i know there is a difference between the xt and 30d in many things. however, what is the difference simply in terms of image quality ou to f the camera?

thanks.
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:18 AM   #2

It should be same as they (350, 20D, 30D) have the same sensor.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:22 PM   #3

how about speed in terms of one shot?

Lets say both will have the 17-55 usm is 2.8l on. Which one can take the shot

1-first
2-quieter

Also, does the 30d look much more obtrusive or imposing than the xt?

thanks.
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:19 PM   #4

Hi PhotoV,

Sorry to correct Bobbyz on this one, but actually the XT has a slightly different sensor than the 20D and 30D. The XT is an 8MP sensor while the 20D and 30D have the identical sensor being an 8.2MP. Obviously .2 MP isn't important. But just note they ARE slightly different sensors. The 20D and 30D can go to ISO 3200 for example, the XT only to ISO 1600.

But having said that image quality is very very similar between these cameras. The 20D and 30D have somewhat more functions and possibilities, but for the normal user these differences are slight and won't be seen in 99.5% of photos taken with the same lenses on each.

The XT has a quieter shutter ("click / clank" sound) than the 20D /30D. The 20D and 30D are slightly quicker than the XT.

But again all these differences are minor. For some people the XT's reduced cost and weight / size are an advantage.For other people particularly the smaller grip on the XT is annoying (too small for some / larger hands). I have the XT and am very happy with it.

Paul

PS yes the XT is somewhat less imposing, but that often depends on what lens (and how far you've got the lens extended, especially if you have a big zoom!) Using the kit lens (18-55mm f3.5 - 5.6) will allow you a small / light package, especially on the XT.
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:16 AM   #5

photov wrote:
Quote:
how about speed in terms of one shot?

Lets say both will have the 17-55 usm is 2.8l on. Which one can take the shot

1-first
2-quieter

Also, does the 30d look much more obtrusive or imposing than the xt?

thanks.
Probably you won't notice any difference between 2 for #1. XT is definitely quiter than 20D, but no sure about 30D as my 30D is not here yet. I will know tomorrow.

BTW - 20D/30D have cross sensor which is sensitive at f2.8 so if you use fast glass 9f2.8 or fatser), it should help with AF. Also 3 fps vs 5 fps (if you into action).

20D/30D are very solid build compared to XT. That was one of my reasons of buying 10D and not 300D (also 300D was quite limited as to what could be changed in different shooting modes).

Best bet, go to a store and hold both in your hands and see which one you like.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:10 AM   #6

Just got my 30D.

1. Nice big LCD but resolution is poor. Wish canon charged $30 more and had higher resolution LCD. Those things are cheap now-a-days.

2. Shutter is noisier compared to my 30D.

3. Shutter is more senstive but I like the 5 fps rapid fire.

Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:16 PM   #7

Just shot this this afternoon with me new XT & 75/300 IS/USM [email protected]. I hadn't realized that the default auto focus settingis (automatic selection) I switched to single point center & get MUCH sharper images now. DUH!

D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:48 AM   #8

Hi D Humbarger,

I like this bird capture... I have a question for you, hope you don't mind.

The photos you have posted with this lens seem quite low in contrast (and also) saturation. According to the exif information, it seems you have the contrast (and saturation to) "normal" setting.

With other lenses do you get more contrast in your photos? What happens if you increase the in-camera contrast settings to "high" or "maximum"?

I agree using the centre point AF point you get sharper photos more often. I have experienced the same with my Canon 350D / XT.

And finally, an interesting note. I saw on the Exif that your camera model is shown as a "Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT" while my camera is shown as "Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL" I guess this is the difference between US and European models respectively, but I guess otherwise technically the cameras are the same..

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:46 AM   #9

( The photos you have posted with this lens seem quite low in contrast (and also) saturation. According to the exif information, it seems you have the contrast (and saturation to) "normal" setting.

With other lenses do you get more contrast in your photos? What happens if you increase the in-camera contrast settings to "high" or "maximum"? )

Paulyou are correct about the settings. I will tweek the settings & see what differences I get. I have two other lens, the 18/55 & 28/135 IS/USM. There might be a difference in our computer monitor settings too.

The XT is the Canon USA name for this camera.

D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote