Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2003, 5:49 AM   #1

Default Sigma 16-30EX on EOS 10D

Has anybody used?
Does vignetting with a polariser on front extend into cropped FOV on D30/D60 or 10D?
I'm new to high quality lenses, if you can't fit a front filter without vignetting, how can you protect this expensive glass?
Are such lenses degraded noticeably by filters such as UV :?:
siggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2003, 1:43 PM   #2

Default Re: Sigma 16-30EX on EOS 10D

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggo
Has anybody used?
Does vignetting with a polariser on front extend into cropped FOV on D30/D60 or 10D?

With proper technique of how to use the polarizer filter, you can avoid the vignetting problem on the superwide angle lens, use good grade glass lens, avoid stack filters together.

I'm new to high quality lenses, if you can't fit a front filter without vignetting, how can you protect this expensive glass?

Polarizer is a specialized filter, use to increase contrast, darken blue sky and minimize the reflection of shinning objects, but it must be use properly to achieve the results (90 degree angle into the direction of the sun light), it is not the type of the filter that you can leave it on the lens all the times to protect the lens. In additon, most of these filters will decrease at least 2 F-stop of the lens (ex F/2.8 will become F/5.6). If you want to protect the lens from dust and minor shock, you need to use clear filter or UV filter and always attach the lens hood for the lens.

Are such lenses degraded noticeably by filters such as UV :?:

Using multi-coated high-grade glass filters such as the B+W and the Hoya pro 1 will not de-grade the quality of your lenses.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 9:55 PM   #3

The only thing I dont like about the 15-30 Sigma Lens (Ive had it almolst 2 years on both a d30 and then D60) is that you cant put filters on it(there are no threads). The bulbous glass sticking out front can only be protected by a permanent shade, and so far it has worked well for me. I miss being able to use a polarizer for sure... but at the same time the quality of this lens makes it well worth this minor shortcoming. I quickly got in the habit of never setting the lens down without putting the lens cap on it.... never.
DigiPhotoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 3:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have seen reviews that say a front filter can be used with an adaptor but vignettes at all but 30mm.
What I don't know if this was on 35mm film frame or on the cropped 10D/D60/d30 sensor.

I think this is the adaptor used...

http://www.thebignothing.com/thebign...j/IMG_3126.jpg

I hope to try one at store tomorrow.
Digiphotobill....excellent shots on the website by the way.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 5:33 AM   #5
NHL

You might want to check their French site, for 7o narrower but still in the EX series, their 17-35mm has a front (82mm) thread instead of the rear for filters... and also an f2.8 instead of f3.5. It's also 1/2 the weight of the 15-30mm due to IF (and a quiet and faster ultra sonic motor to boot) 8) 8) 8)
http://www.sigma-photo.fr/site/bouti...roduit=0000017

You're right about the cropped 10D sensor since IMO a polarizer is essential for any sea/landscape shots (also a non-rotating front)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:08 AM   #6

I just want to clear one thing, I misread the original post when you said 16-30mm I thought you mention the Canon 16-35mm. The Sigma 15-30mm, because of its unique design, you can not use the regular front thread filter and the hood already built in. You just need to be more careful in handling the lens, dust of the front lens after use if you clean the lens, make sure use the proper cleanning liquid so you will not leave smear on the lens, Porter camera sell them). I don't have this lens but someone who own the lens can tell if it has the rear slot provision for usning filters?.

Regarless what I'm saying here, the issue remain the same for using filters on the wide angle/ wide angle zoom lens or any other lens and the issue of protecting the lens by using filters and hood.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 10:00 AM   #7
NHL

There was some report of caution on the 10D AF as well as some older Sigma lenses:
http://www.photim.com/Infos/UneInfo.asp?N=831
Old Apr 29, 2003, 9:45 AM   #8

Thanks, but my schoolboy French is just not good enough.
I tried the lens but returned it and am waiting to try Canon 17-40L due here early May.
Excellent lens, but I was disappointed at flare and vingnetting when trying to use polariser mounted on front of lens, even with the cropped image of the 10D.
Old May 20, 2003, 6:11 PM   #9

Siggo,

Did you return the Sigma 16-30EX or were you talking about the Sigma 17-35EX?

Anyone have good/bad experiences with the Sigma 17-35EX lens?

Thanks,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 8:30 PM   #10
NHL

The 15-30EX is actually an older lens with much more glass hence heavier (also focus closer), and believed by most to be a better lens than the 17-35EX. The 17-35EX is lighter, has HSM (Ultrasonic in Canon talk) which is quieter and quicker, and also can accept a front filter.

This is moot however since I've found out that an 82mm slim polarizer is as much as $180! and the f2.8 also have a softer focus than if you stopped the lens down to f3.5, same as in the 15-30EX... 8), but I like it... for what it costs/weights: $380 from 645AF with ~$20 shipping.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5121622