Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:30 AM   #1

have narrowed it down to between SIGMA EF-500 DG and the CANON SPEEDLITE 580 EX.I have a 20D Canon.Now is there anything that the canon can do that the Sigma cant do?I am wondering if the sigma is just as good as the canon or should I stay with the same brand on the flash unit?

Any Help would be great.

Thanks

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:52 AM   #2
NHL

The 580EX is slighly more powerful with a GN of 58 vs 50 for the Sigma :idea:
and like the 550EX before it can also use an external battery pack...

The Sigma actually has one more useful feature than the Canon in that it can sync to any studio strobe (or other dumb flash) via it's built-in photo sensor which none of the Canon unit has...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:05 PM   #3

A fewmore question on Sigma vs. Canon flash:

Is there any difference between the two regarding bulk and weight. I would prefer a compact and lighter one if possible with at least 50 GN.

Would sigma be a good match for a 5D as good as 580EX?

Does Sigma has a built in diffuser like 580?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:51 PM   #4

I got the 580EX. Very nice flash unit.

Anyway, I only got a chance to glance over the sigma 500. There is definitely a build quality difference (ie sigma needed 2 buttons to swivel horizontally and vertically where the canon is only one button). I don't *think* I saw a built in diffuser. IMO the canon looked better if that kind of stuff matters to you.

And as for "compact" I can't really give an answer for that... This is my first time having a flash unit and they all look big to me... especially when it's as big as the XT...

Either than that, I didn't really compare their performance.

But I did compare the 580 to 430:

580's advantage (that I cared for):
-exhibit more power
-exhibit less power (for high speed sync)
-diffuser
-build quality

I think there was one more, but I can't think about it. Anyway, the way the 580EX can automatically do the hard stuff for you is quite amazing. I woundn't know if the sigma could do it just as well. But because Sigma's outer build is a cheaper quality, I wonder if the flash bulb is also cheaper. If so, then it wouldn't be able to burst shot as often as the 580EX. For the 580EX, Canon recommends not going above 10 bursts at a time. And if you do go that high, then let the bulb cool down for 10 minutes. Just a thought...

For me, it was just, "go for the best and forget the rest" type of decision. I already invest too much time in lenses :roll:
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:27 AM   #5

I have used both speedlights (Sigma DG super 500, 580EX) on the 20D and 5D and whereas the Sigma is an excellent flashgun, the 580 knocks spots off it in my opinion. DonĀ“t get me wrong, the Sigma will do everything you want it too, the 580 will just do more, especially with the 20D.

It is smaller, yet slightly heavier/sturdier and smoother in operation (tilt/swivel). Generally it feels better and more professional. One big plus is that it literally "squeezes" every last ounce of power, working normally, from the battery before it starts to fade, whereas most other units fade and slow down gradually.

Get the 580, you will love it.

Nick

P.s. Both have built in diffusers
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:52 AM   #6

Thanks everyone.I think I might go with the canon but I will be getting new lenses 1st most likely now.

Thanks again for your help.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:11 PM   #7

I've used both the Sigma EF-500 DG Super and Canon 580EX on my 20D. The only reason why I decided to upgrade from the Sigma to the Canon was cuz I got a deal I couldn't refuse on the Canon...plus it gives me the confidence that it'll have less compatibility issues with future Canon bodies.

...and to answer a previous question...yes, the Sigma EF-500 DG Super does have a built-in diffuser like the 580EX.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:31 AM   #8

Where did you purchase the 580 Canon flash? Best price I found was $369. Did you do better??
lesrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:23 AM   #9

I've bought a used Sigma DG super 500 first, but since it was not possible to use high speed sync on my RebelXT I've also got the 580. Since then the Sigma is used as a wireless slave. In addition to the better build quality, the Canon is also quite a bit more intuitive (faster) to operate and can auto-compensate the sensor size.
www is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:22 AM   #10

Actually, the Sigma EF-500 DG Super does have a high speed sync feature: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/manuals/F10EO.pdfturn to page 22 for info. Turn to page 27 on how to set it.

Anyway, I got my two 580EX's for $200 each via ebay. Each came in their original Canon packaging with instruction, stand, and soft case...like with a brand new unit. Both in mint condition.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote