Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:09 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie so please be patiant with me :-) I just picked up a Canon 20D. Man, it's a NICE camera! This is my first SLR, never toughed one before,and my second camera that I've ever owned. I'm trying to get used to manual mode but it's a bit difficult. Not as difficult as I thought but still difficult. The hardest part is trying to hold the camera still :-( Guess I'll stop shaking and moving around after handling the camera a little more. My fiance and I took the camera out for a walk on Easter Sunday. I'm glad she's used a SLR before so she helped me out a lot. Here's a link to our pics...

http://fototime.com/inv/A83387FD28AB1B8

We took most of the pics in manual mode and a few in auto. Can't rememebr which are auto and which are manual. As you can see most of the shots were over exposed :-( Hopefully our next time out will be a little better :-) Thanks for reading.

BTW Great form! :-)

Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:03 PM   #2

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to 'spoil' your joy with stupid questions,but why didn't you go for 30D? I know that those two cameras are very similar but I liked 2.5" on 30D, ISO, spot. There is a price difference, but neither of those two are cheap (just my opinion). Again, if I wanted to save money I would go for XT.
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:18 PM   #3

This may sound a bit weird but I had the chance to play with the 20D at Circuit City. They didn't have the 30D or at least I didn't see it. Ever since that day I handled the 20D I couldn't get it out of my head :-)
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:28 PM   #4

Same thing. I was very much interested in getting XT at first, but once 30D was in my hands ...
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:39 PM   #5

There's always next time :-)
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:40 PM   #6

i really like some of your compositions here. just work on steadier hand and your stuff will be great.
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:46 PM   #7

Thanks! :-)
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:16 PM   #8

Some nice photos there. One suggestion though, use either Av orTv until you get used to the camera - less for you to worry about while learning how to shoot. I generally shoot in Av because I want to control dof, but if I'm taking an action shot, I switch to Tv so I can control shutter speed.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:31 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Or even use P mode.

It's my default mode, next most frequently used is Av, then Tv, and of course M for flash work.

But a lot of the time it's not really that relevant what shutter and aperture you're using, let the camera decide. You can then worry about composition - which is the more interesting bit. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:59 PM   #10

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Or even use P mode.
Hey Peri - I forgot about that one - I'm normally in Av.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote