Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2006, 7:31 PM   #1

Please can someone give me an idea how to put back the mirror in its place? i mean it was already out of place a few days ago but today i unscrewed the lens and put it back on and i found afterwards that the mirror had fell off its position completely and gone down:sad:.

can i pick it up myself and put it back where it should be or shall i take to someone else. the mirror basically fell off its place so now it's all dark in the viewfinder and i don't know what to do.

my email is : [email protected]

thanks
moondustfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:24 AM   #2

I believe you will have to put it in for repairs. same thing happened with my 300d just before Christmas. The mirror was off its pivot. I had the repair done within a week and it cost me $245.00 Australian (you can work out the exchange rate for your country) I thought it was pretty reasonable. I did try to put the mirror back in place myself but it did not work.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3

How many shots do you estimate, you'd taken when the mirror broke?
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:15 PM   #4

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
How many shots do you estimate, you'd taken when the mirror broke?

I had dropped the camera about five feet onto concrete about 5 months before that happened so I believed that played a part in it, Id taken over 9000 shots at that stage
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5

Dropped 5 feet onto concrete and all you had was a displaced mirror??? Congratulations!!!

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:59 PM   #6

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
Dropped 5 feet onto concrete and all you had was a displaced mirror??? Congratulations!!!

H

The little door where the battery goes in came off and lost the pin, I spent the whole wedding (which is where I was) with my finger stuffed inside the camera holding the battery in and amazingly got some great photos. Hubby, believe it or not searched the ground where it happened and found the door pin which he repaired with super glue.:!: I got a battery grip to solve the problem of the door breaking again. The top of the camera on the flash flaphas a couple of scratches but the lens was safe and the camera then ran perfectly for 5 months so i guess the 300d is a lot tougher than it looks.:-)
Old May 2, 2006, 11:05 AM   #7

Thank you for your answers. Actually i just got news from the repair guys and they told me that the mirror was broken and so it needs to be replaced. I am waiting to hear how much it's gonna cost me, they say they will let me know very soon. It seems it has become an expensive repair job! i don't know if i will be able to afford it! if it was 245 australian dollars for just putting it back in place, how much i wonder will it be for a new mirror?!!! The worse thing about this is that i never dropped my camera! it did fall once but it was in its camera bag!
moondustfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 7:19 PM   #8

thats no good. A friend of mine just finally went digital and got the 30d, she took 5 photos and the whole thing stopped, seems to be a mirror problem too. least she will get her camera replaced.
Old May 16, 2006, 8:14 AM   #9

I had the secondary ( auto focus) mirror come off its mount. 1 week left on warranty, & canon replaced the mirror box. Figured I'd shot around 5000 frames. Surprised to here its a common problem. Love the camera, but after playing with a 20d why (for an extra $ ) couldnt they have included rear curtain sync & auto focus on the AElock button? Tempted to find out how wet I can get it but dont want to push my luck. Im not made of $$.
deke is offline   Reply With Quote