Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:05 AM   #1

I am a little confused, first off I am a newbie to the DSLR market and have owned this Rebel XT since Nov. 2005 and have had a lot of fun AND success with the pics I take just using automatic mode. I have an OEM battery pack with the charger and the 18-55 lens which came with this kit. I am not understanding when I switch it to the "sports" mode on the round dial on top of this camera and go to take a pic it holds the shutter open for somewhere around 5 seconds. Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't sports mode have a FAST shutter speed??
I have read the manual and it does not go into much detail (which sucks big time BTW) about the different modes and what to expect.
Is it possible the camera is defective? Or do I need to set something in the camera?
I could find nothing going through all the menus in this great camera.
But this sports mode truly has me confused, having to hold the camera completely still for 5 seconds while taking a moving picture. It is trying to get a long exposure for some odd reason.
Please help soon so I can use this function? Heck even my small point and shoot cameras take sports shots without this much hassle.
Thanks to all in advance
drumn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:17 AM   #2

What are the lighting conditions?

Generally, the Sports mode should set a high shutter speed to capture the action, just as you think it should. You may want to call Canon and ask them if no one else here as an idea. Good thing is you're still under warranty if anything were to be wrong with the camera.

This may also help you too: http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/index.html
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:49 AM   #3

Make sure you're in the sports mode. I think the 300D and 10D sports settings were ISO 400 and a shutter speed of 250. I could be wrong about the exact settings. I would do a reset of all the camera settings and then try it. I remember setting the safety mode on and ruining a graduation shoot because the camera over rode my shutter speed settings to get what it thought were properly exposed shots.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:48 PM   #4

I have checked everything and cannot figure this out. These cameras seem simple enough. Anyone else got any ideas please?
Thanks
drumn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:35 PM   #5

Call Canon Support, their customer service is extremely helpful.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote