Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:20 PM   #1

I wasn't sure where to post a message to ask for feedback on my new website I have made so I'll post it here since all my pictures are shot with a canon digital rebel.

Here is the address: http://www.josephfolsomphotography.com

Please let me know what you think and also tell me if something does not work.
Thanks!
planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:50 AM   #2

To start with, your page title is "josephfolsomphotographyfrontpage reramp frontpage"

There are 2 white lines that run through the main page, one of which goes right through the picture. They are above and below your pricing bubble.

"laws" is off the bottom of the graphic and the bottom edge of the graphic is messed up at that spot.

Beautiful pictures though!

memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, what brower are you using and what internet speed do you have?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:11 AM   #4

memento wrote:
Quote:
To start with, your page title is "josephfolsomphotographyfrontpage reramp frontpage"

There are 2 white lines that run through the main page, one of which goes right through the picture. They are above and below your pricing bubble.

"laws" is off the bottom of the graphic and the bottom edge of the graphic is messed up at that spot.

planters... i use Verizon DSL as my ISP and use Internet Explorer as my browser and see none of the problems that memento pointed out...the site looks fine to me...
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 11:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply and for looking at my page. I've since updated my site to fix a few problems.
Old May 12, 2006, 9:29 AM   #6

Hi

Nice site! Well designed and with some superb images. For your info it works fine with tiscali as an ISP and Firefox as a browser.

As for any improvements you could make, how about making the images thief proof?

Just a thought.

Cheers

Tony
kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 12:05 PM   #7

A couple other points of interest.

1. I agree about the name - a URL should be easy to remember - yours is too long. If it were just a gallery for friends and such not a big deal - but you seem to want to sell images, so having a URL that's easily remembered is a big deal.

2. The page construction is very good - easy to navigate and no navigation errors. The only issue was I couldn't find a <home> link once down in the galleries.

3. As you move forward, you should consider a sub-folder structure. Under 'Travel', have a subfolder: "Las Vegas".

4. Decide if you really want to sell your work or not. If you do, the 'you can buy my work by sending me an email' concept probably won't be a good business model. You'll want to look at a service that will operate a shopping cart for you so people can purchase directly from your web page.

5. You have 'events' which is currently under construction (not a problem there). First of all, finish construction as soon as possible. Web sites that have 'under construction' links for 4 months scream of unprofessional - again, not a problem if you're just sharing but if you want this to be a business portal, you have to run it as one.

6. On the 'events' topic - i'm going to assume this is for weddings or birthday parties or office parties or Bar Mitzvas - whatever. In that case: you should have info on your site detailing what types of events you do and have samples of each type of event (with signed releases from the event folks that you can use your work for marketing - standard stuff in most contracts). Also be prepared with references for each type of event when someone sends an inuiry to you. Also, does your website allow for passwords - many people may not like their events open to the world for viewing so each event subfolder should be password protected.

Just some thoughts. As a start, I think it's pretty good!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 5:54 PM   #8

Interesting, but no people photos.

Should have a people section.

Also, I find the site a little cumbersome to use.

You could have probably put all the sections and thumbs on the main page, and just let people scroll down.

If they want to see a photo enlarged, just click on it.

Too much hacking around to see your images.

If you're a real pro, you should spend some serious money and get a serious website.

Here's what a pro's website looks like (not mine):

http://gurnetroad.com/v4/main.php?g2_view=html:HomePage

Just my 2 cents worth.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote