Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1

Hello,

Does anyone know the lowest price for the 30D body available in Canada?
The lowest ones I have seen are Galaxy Camera (CND$ 1550) and Camera Warehouse Canada (1580)

thx

Also, can anyone answer my questions regarding tax? What duty/custom/taxes will I need to pay if I buy a 30D from the US here in Vancouver BC? Do I need to pay GST in BC? What about the local tax in the state from which I'm buying from

thx for the advice^^~
leooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 5:20 PM   #2

Try Henry's of Toronto.* Great service and nice folks to deal with.
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:09 PM   #3

I've for main 1550 @ Photo Expert Delta, Vancouver.
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 1:44 AM   #4

leooz wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Does anyone know the lowest price for the 30D body available in Canada?
The lowest ones I have seen are Galaxy Camera (CND$ 1550) and Camera Warehouse Canada (1580)

thx

Also, can anyone answer my questions regarding tax? What duty/custom/taxes will I need to pay if I buy a 30D from the US here in Vancouver BC? Do I need to pay GST in BC? What about the local tax in the state from which I'm buying from

thx for the advice^^~
There is ZERO duty for camera equipment imported from the US into Canada. All you pay on top of shipping is PST and GST just as if you bought it within your home province. Also, I'm in Alberta and buy most of my equipment from B&H Photo in New York, and have never paid any kind of State tax.

I choose UPS Expedited for all of my shipments (all have gone flawlessly), and the upfront shipping price includes all customs brokerage fees.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:02 AM   #5

Nice, no duty. But do I need to pay PST since it is a provincial tax?
Old May 10, 2006, 11:59 AM   #6

I wouldn't buy camera from US. For 30D is nothing cheaper than in Canada and you do not have a trouble of returning it if you find something wrong. If you can, buy it locally. I would pay even more than from US. It is different when ordering lens or other equipment. There is a small chance that lens is going to have some problem.

When ordering from US you pay for S&H and brokerage fee (about $40-50 and depends on the $ value). So in case of 30D it may be even more expensive to order from US. Check the latest prices and check the US shop ratings. I wouldn't buy from 'cheap' stores, but from B&H, Adorama and so on.

And I had to pay both PST and GST :-)
Old May 11, 2006, 7:19 PM   #7

GM2006 wrote:
Quote:
I've for main 1550 @ Photo Expert Delta, Vancouver.
Their website says $1599 tho. did u get a deal or sth?
Old May 12, 2006, 12:46 AM   #8

Yeas I've got the deal even though I didn't ask for it. I am not sure if you can get the deal now. The only reason could be they said to me thay had the body over the phone and I went there but the shipment was late and I had to come back next day. No big deal to me.
Old May 14, 2006, 1:58 AM   #9

GM2006 wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't buy camera from US. For 30D is nothing cheaper than in Canada and you do not have a trouble of returning it if you find something wrong. If you can, buy it locally. I would pay even more than from US. It is different when ordering lens or other equipment. There is a small chance that lens is going to have some problem.

When ordering from US you pay for S&H and brokerage fee (about $40-50 and depends on the $ value). So in case of 30D it may be even more expensive to order from US. Check the latest prices and check the US shop ratings. I wouldn't buy from 'cheap' stores, but from B&H, Adorama and so on.

And I had to pay both PST and GST :-)
I'd have no problem buying a camera from B&H Photo in the US if the savings were great enough. You are correct though that in this case $1550 is the same price you will pay in the US, so you might as well buy locally in case you need to make a return.

The difference in price between camera bodies sold in Canada and the US becomes greater after the first price drop, and there can be a very big difference in the price of certain lenses. I saved approximately $600 on my 24-70 f/2.8L by buying from B&H (since then the Canadian stores have dropped the price and now the saving is closer to $300), and at least $200 on my 70-200 f/4L. Also, for Canon equipment it is a US/Canada warranty ... so service repairs are never an issue.

I even recently bought a pair of headphones from B&H for $189 US ($$210 Cdn) that my local stereo shop wants $380 Cdn for. I could pay to have them returned by UPS several times and still come out ahead.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 12:27 PM   #10

I've also ordered Sigma 17-70, 430EX, PP511 battery, Memory cards from B&H photo. I've received in just three days and I could track the shipment and be home for delivery. I know I saved but not sure how much since I couldn't find 17-70 locally (later it was there).

Savings on lenses can be quite big even more if you buy from other shop than B&H or Adorama. But sometimes some people had problems with them so I would rather pay couple bucks more.

Also I've purchased Sigma 10-20 but due to some scarry reports I've read about this lens I've decided to buy it localy. I could test the lens right away and return it with easey. There was not much of a difference in price in this case.

My next lens could be Sigma 50-500 or similar in that range. You can get one for $1000 from B&H which comes out to be $1250-$1300 CAN. Locally I can get one for about $1450 and maybe I can lower the price for another $50 so the difference comes out to be $100. If I, say, have to return the lens for exchange, I would have to pay another $50. So in this case, maybe it is better to go with local shop. But in US there is alway a bigger chance that somebody may drop the price substantially then here.