Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1

After many months of agonizing research and pondering I have finally placed order for 30D. I should have it in my hot little hands on Friday

I have ordered Sigma 17-70mm lens with it. How doI test this combo? I am concerned about lens focusing front or back, being soft, focusing speed and sensor dust on the camera,etc.

I am sure there is a systematic way to go about it. Help!
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2006, 12:46 AM   #2

For a quantitative approach to lens testing and comparison, take a look at the testing suite by Norman Koren on his site:* http://www.imatest.comBest,Jim
heyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 7:36 AM   #3

harana

Congrads on the new setup that you ordered.

There are a few ways to test your setup.

The first one is to just go out and take images with it. Take images if many different things, close objects, far objects, people, animals, flowers, landscapes, and so on. This is to get you use to the camera and lens. Try many different settings with the camera, and see what you like.

A second way is to find a nice stable brick or stone wall, a wall with some texture or lines on it, and take images at various F stops. This will help you see where the lens is its sharpest. For this, you will need a tripod to keep the camera steady and focused at the same point. You can do this at different distances to make sure that your setup works at various lengths. I had a lens that worked great under about 6 feet from the subject, but once I was past that it would not focus correctly.

A third way to test your setup would to be to place a few objects close to each other and at different distances infront or back of each other. Stager the objects, as this can show front or back focus. Try this with different F stops to, as sometimes the camera/lens might change with settings. A tripod will be needed for this too.

The other focus test works too, as noted by heyjp.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 9:10 AM   #4

Congrats on the new toys! I'm wondering myself if the Sigma 17-70mm lens is any good. Please post your impressions. I just wished it was a constant f2.8 thru out so I can replace my Sigma 18-50mmm f2.8.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 10:51 AM   #5
NHL

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
Congrats on the new toys! I'm wondering myself if the Sigma 17-70mm lens is any good. Please post your impressions. I just wished it was a constant f2.8 thru out so I can replace my Sigma 18-50mmm f2.8.
Well according to theses guys: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...2845/index.htm

Verdict

"... Even better than that it delivers a performance which matches and sometimes even exceeds more expensive lenses. This includes the in-house competition (AF 18-50mm f/2.8 EX) as well as genuine brand lenses (such as the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS). All in all the lens has only one really weak spot - 17mm at wide-open aperture where the extreme border performance is soft and vignetting is quite pronounced (but still not worse than the direct competition)..."

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 1:51 PM   #6

Cool - I ordered the exact same combination today! Seems like a superior alternative to the expensive EF-S 17-85 IS USM if you ask me. Photozone said the AF was "very fast", and optically it beats the Canon 17-85 in almost every aspect.

harana wrote:
Quote:
After many months of agonizing research and pondering I have finally placed order for 30D. I should have it in my hot little hands on Friday

I have ordered Sigma 17-70mm lens with it. How doI test this combo? I am concerned about lens focusing front or back, being soft, focusing speed and sensor dust on the camera,etc.

I am sure there is a systematic way to go about it. Help!
naylor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 2:15 PM   #7

Thanks folks for the kind words and info on testing.

heyjp- the link you have provided did not work. Would you please update it?

I just ran across a website which has a whole procedure documented on how to test for front and back focus. Here is the link: http://www.focustestchart.com/chart.html

I ordered 30D, Sigma 17-70 and 580EX flash. Also got a 2 GB card to go with it. I will post pictures in a few days. My equipment gets in by Friday..:-)

I will build up my lens collection over time but I do want to get a FF camera in about 2 years (may be an update to 5D...). So I will try to get additional lenses which will be usable with a FF cmaera...:-)
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 8:00 PM   #8

The link to imatest for qualitative testing software is: * *http://www.imatest.com * *Sorry about the earlier post where my signature ran onto the link. * *Jim
heyjp is offline   Reply With Quote