Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 2, 2006, 8:42 PM   #1

I really want to upgrade to the 20d from my 300d but cant see myself saving the money for at least another 8 months. I dont really want to pay the price of the 30d and also like to see what little problems a camera may have over a period before I buy a camera. How long will it be possible to buy a new 20d in Australia?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 11:55 AM   #2

went to the shop today no 20ds available, looks as if it will have to be a 30d.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3

I've heard from Canon that the 30D is not meant to replace the 20D, just augment it. The problem I see is most stores will not want to stock both and will opt for the 30D.

Also, a lot can happen in 9 months. The 20D may or may not be gone, but the 30D may lower into your price range.

BH photo still has teh 20D in stock, maybe they'll have it for some time to come.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 6:00 PM   #4

Thanks, its a different case where I live in Australia, Im looking at the 30d now.
Old May 3, 2006, 8:22 PM   #5

I really like my 20D; however there are small improvements that taken as a whole that make the 30D a much nicer camera. Spot metering, Larger LCD, 100,000 shutter gauarantee, picture styles, etc. I know that these things make a difference, because I purchased a 5D last year. It hasthe same improvements mentioned above. Compared topoint and shoots that were around when you brought your 300D, the 300D was a big improvement. When you get the 30D, you'll be glad you have the 100,000 shutter guarantee, because you will definitely take more photos if you have time.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 9:38 PM   #6

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
I really like my 20D; however there are small improvements that taken as a whole that make the 30D a much nicer camera. Spot metering, Larger LCD, 100,000 shutter gauarantee, picture styles, etc. I know that these things make a difference, because I purchased a 5D last year. It hasthe same improvements mentioned above. Compared topoint and shoots that were around when you brought your 300D, the 300D was a big improvement. When you get the 30D, you'll be glad you have the 100,000 shutter guarantee, because you will definitely take more photos if you have time.

I done well with the 300d but I take a lot of fast moving wildlife and want the frames that either 20d or 30d can offer me. Im hoping it will be a worthwhile purchase and that I will see a big difference. will keep the 300d with a wide angle on permanently for landscapes probably.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:44 AM   #7

alady,

I've seen your many posts and you have done very well with the 300D and I can't wait to see what you do with the 30D.

Dave
Old May 4, 2006, 1:29 AM   #8

well it wont be long now as I just got my dealer to order in the 30d body, battery grop and spare batteries, should arrive by monday, I cant wait, hope nothing goes wrong with it. A friend just recently got one and it was DOA as they say. She had it replaced today.
Old May 4, 2006, 3:12 AM   #9

I recently ordered a 5D to replace my 300D. It arrived in seemingly good condition but after using all the buttons and dials I found one dial not working. Since I am stationed overseas, I do all my purchasing over the internet so I had to mail this one back and wait for the replacement to arrive.

Hope that doesn't happen to you, enjoy your 30D.

Dave
Old May 4, 2006, 9:30 PM   #10
djb

Alady, why didn't you order a 20D from an online dealer? There must be some out there with new 20D's. no??

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote