Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 7, 2006, 6:50 PM   #11
Administrator

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I cant work out why there would be more noise given that one of the so called pluses the info on this camera had in the specs was lack of noise at higher ISOs
The only problem that I'm aware of is a banding issue with some lenses using AI Servo Mode. The 50mm f/1.4 seems to be one that some users claim has an issue with it in some conditions. Yes, it's noise banding. But, it's not a very obvious issue and most users don't have the problem.

Noise graphs I've looked at show that noise levels between the EOS-20D and EOS-30D are identical (it's probably the same sensor).

The EOS-20D had the same high ISO banding issues when using flash when it was introduced, and Canon released a firmware upgrade to solve it.

I think you're worried over nothing. It's blown out of proportion, and you'd probably have to use it in rather extreme conditions with AI Servo Focus, with a lens with a motor that interfered (if speculation is right about the cause), looking very closely at images to even see the banding.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 8:25 PM   #12

Thanks, I am going to sit on the fence and wait and see when the camera arrives and I have the chance to test it out for myself. I will post my thoughts when I know first hand if there is an isssue at all.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:45 PM   #13

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I cant work out why there would be more noise given that one of the so called pluses the info on this camera had in the specs was lack of noise at higher ISOs
don't get me wrong... the camera produces very LITTLE noise. but i can find it if i look for it, especially under certain conditions with certain backdrops. check out some of my posts on this forum for sample images... most have had very little PP done... just some cropping, resizing, and a touch of sharpening to compensate for the JPEG compression during resizing. i'm very pleased with the camera!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 12:43 AM   #14

do you shoot RAW or Jpeg? and do you have your camera set on the standard or faithful etc?
Old May 8, 2006, 12:59 AM   #15

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
do you shoot RAW or Jpeg? and do you have your camera set on the standard or faithful etc?
hi aladay. so far, i've been shooting just JPEG. i'm a recent convert to DSLR's, from my FZ20, and i want to make sure i get the mechanics of the camera down before i start messing around too much with RAW. besides, at the moment i don't have any good RAW processing software, and i need to find a good one that won't break the bank (i spent my "allowance" of disposable income for the next several months just to get the camera and lenses! :G as for settings, i have most of the settings in the default positions, except i've increased the sharpness a bit. image style is standard. i haven't even beguun to mess with the custom features yet! :O
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 2:03 AM   #16

can you tell me if the camera is set to standard will that be sharpish, do I have to increase the sharpness myself or is standard a sharp setting to start with. Just trying to find out this stuff before I get the camera. I also shoot in Jpeg. I tried RAW but my computer just was not handling it for some reason.
Old May 8, 2006, 1:26 PM   #17

On my 30D noise is noticeable in some situation even at 200ISO. It is usually visible in underexposed areas as other people mentioned. I wouldn't consider it a big issue.

You can see more noise when shooting in RAW (which is to be expected) and usually Sigma lenses produce more noise than equivalent Canon.

Generally, if picture is properly exposed, noise is not a problem. Also depends on the monitor. If you have good quality LCD screen with good contrast, noise is going to be more noticeable.

I have to say I've expected less noise from 30D but that is something hard to compare if you do not have other camera with you. What is advertised as very little noise at 800ISO I do not find to be truth (again my camera, my opinion). For that reason I avoid using 1600 and 3200.

Also, I am finding all that issues with superb optics qualityand camera quality something to be avare of but not to extreme. Bad picture is much worse than little lens unsharpens or camera noise. I do not know if I can do much about camera (unless it is really bad) or lens (unless it is bad sample) but I know I can do much more to improve my skills in taking pictures.:-)
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:11 PM   #18

Well if you read forums, you will always find major problems. Yes, the noise seems to be there but I think it has more to do with the exposure than anything else. If propery exposed, you will not see this issue. My 30D is also from the so called 03 serial number. Initially I noticed some noise (a bit more than what I would have expected coming from 10D) but I don't see it anymore. I am shooting RAW

BTW - This noise issue is not the noise banding issue that JimC is referring to. It is the excessive noise in the dark regions. Some people say the have it even in their clear blue sky shots.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 8:28 PM   #19

what is this o3 batch?
Old May 9, 2006, 9:13 PM   #20
Administrator

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
BTW - This noise issue is not the noise banding issue that JimC is referring to. It is the excessive noise in the dark regions. Some people say the have it even in their clear blue sky shots.
Any camera is going to have some noise as ISO speeds get higher, especially in underexposed areas of an image. ;-)

Blue channel noise is often a bit worse (so noise in skies is common as ISO speeds are increased).

But, everything I've seen (noise graphs) shows that the 30D is virtually identical to the 20D, except for a banding problem reported by some 30D users.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote