Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 10, 2006, 11:03 AM   #21

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
what is this o3 batch?
Some people were saying that serial numbers starting with 03 were having issues. but mine starts with 03 and so far I am very happy with my shots. I have not tried higher ISOs.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 11:16 AM   #22

I have been thinking of upgrading to 30D from my 300D Rebel. Although I'm still satisfied for casual use and sports (Racing) pictures, do you guys think 30D is a worth upgrade from 300D?

I've also been reading about this noise issue and I'm sort of drawn away from 30D. I must admit that the rebel produced quite low noise imageat iso100, I just need clarification that I will not be dissapointed if I upgradeto 30D since I can get 2 sigma lenses if I choose not to upgrade (been thinking of wide angle 10-22mmand fish eye lens)

rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 11:46 PM   #23

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
what is this o3 batch?
Some people were saying that serial numbers starting with 03 were having issues. but mine starts with 03 and so far I am very happy with my shots. I have not tried higher ISOs.
mine also starts with 03, and while i'm generally very pleased with the results i'm getting, i don't know if the noise is as low as it "should" be. i can see noise in shadowy areas, or blue sky, at ISO 400. nowhere near as bad as my FZ20 was, even at ISO 100, but visible at full size nonetheless. i havent tried ISO800/1600 or higher. but having never had a DSLR till now, i have no real frame of reference. i can easily removethe noise in PP, but after reading the reviews, i'd sort of expected that i wouldn't need to. unrealistic expectation? probably. but how much IS reasonable?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:31 AM   #24

rally123 wrote:
Quote:
I have been thinking of upgrading to 30D from my 300D Rebel. Although I'm still satisfied for casual use and sports (Racing) pictures, do you guys think 30D is a worth upgrade from 300D?

I've also been reading about this noise issue and I'm sort of drawn away from 30D. I must admit that the rebel produced quite low noise imageat iso100, I just need clarification that I will not be dissapointed if I upgradeto 30D since I can get 2 sigma lenses if I choose not to upgrade (been thinking of wide angle 10-22mmand fish eye lens)
Depends on what you shoot. if anything more than just landscapes, then yes, you will be very happy with 30D. 300D is quite limited as to what it can do, in different modes. Lucky canon fixed all that when they released 350D.
Old May 11, 2006, 11:35 AM   #25

Squirl033 - I need to do some side by side tests with my 10D and 30D. if 30D shot is properly exposed then I am happy with the outcome. I did shoot jpegs for 2-3 days when I just got it and was not happy with the outcome at ISO320/ISO400. RAW is giving me better results.

But when I posted some of my 100% crops (the ones I shot in jpeg), people commented that noise was comparable to what they get with 1dMK2 and 20/350D. But I have seen lower noise from 20D/350D.

Not sure where I am going with this. But remember, we have a warranty for 1 yr.