Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 5, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

A lot of talk online about 30d sensors. A couple of posters over at the Popular Photography website forum have already sent their cameras back to canon because of excessive noise in the sensors.
It seems to be a fairly common problem from what i have read. I have yet to receive mine yet, is this the same sensor as the 20d and maybe these problems are just a coincidence?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 11:14 PM   #2

I haven't heard of any problems with the 30D sensor... but I haven't been listening for any. Is it more than expected dark noise, or lots of noise across the board.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 12:36 AM   #3

don't know but Ive spoken to a few 30d owners who are rapped in the camera and have no problems. And going by the photos Ive posted below (from another 30d owner)with that ISO, I can see no big problems with noise, hope my 30d will turn up soon and I will see for myself.

This one from a canon forum

My 30d continues to amaze me at how little noise I can get from it even up to 800asa and deliberately trying exposures that I thought would show noise. I ran a aseries of available light tests in a pretty mono colour low light sort of environment at asa ranges from 100 to 1600asa and was astounded. In fact, at 400asa I had to struggle to find any obvious noise at all.

I"m an old medium format film user (and loved it) but you will never get me back there again. I reckon the 30d is the greatest camera I have ever owned (45 years ago a Brownie Starlet 127) - can't change asa on the fly with film cameras, and just so much more.

Old May 7, 2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Administrator

aladyforty

This has been a relatively hot topic of discussion on some forums. The issue is banding (noise stripes) at higher ISO speeds in AI Servo mode with some lenses.

Speculation has it that it's caused by electrical interference from some lens motors. Phil Askey over at dpreview noticed it and mentioned it in the camera's review conclusion.

Many users of the 30D report no issues. Some have indicated that they've replaced their bodies and still have an issue.

I've looked at some of the photos 30D owners have posted showing banding, and it's really not very noticeable except in shadow areas, and then only if you boost brightness and contrast a bit to make it more visible.

Banding at higher ISO speeds in underexposed areas is not a new thing, and is not specific to the 30D. I've seen this behavior shown by owners a variety of camera models for a long time, looking closely for it in underexposed areas when your are pushing the limits of a camera. This was also a pretty hot topic of discussion on forums regarding the new Nikon D200.

In the case of the Nikon D200, they have a way to replace and/or calibrate the Analog to Digital converter to solve the issue if you have it.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon comes out with a similar fix for 30Ds with this issue, if it becomes a "hot" enough topic of discussion that it impacts sales. They may be able to improve it via firmware, too (one of the EOS-20D firmware upgrades was for the same type of banding issue, only when using a flash).

But, not all 30D owners have a problem, and it's impact on image quality is exaggerated based on photos I've looked at (you have to look very hard to even notice it at all).

If you do a google search for banding (inserting the model name of many cameras), you'll find reports of banding. It's an issue with most cameras in some conditions at higher ISO speeds.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 10:55 AM   #5
VP

Julie

I recently bought the 30D and I am still experimenting with all the bells and whistles.For the "majority" of the shots I have taken,I don't see a problem with noise. I'm also not a pro of course and don't pick every pixel to death.

I have seen some very nice photos posted with the 30D andno noise thatshould be a concern. (to me anyway)

Here is a couple that I have taken using a Sigma 70-200 F2.8EX w/2XTC and shooting at ISO 400 and also shot in JPEG+ more sharpening to see what noise would be.Also, no photoshop. With your skills you can see the potential.
Attached Images

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 10:57 AM   #6
VP

Another
Attached Images

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:31 AM   #7

Thanks, guess Im going to have to wait until my camera comes in, probably this week. I am now very apprehensive about the whole thing. what was supposed to be exciting has turned into a worry because of what ive read online. However I also have seen some very nice shots from the 30d as well. I upgraded for the potential to photograph wildlife and sports more than anything and Ive already paid for this camera so heres hoping its all a storm in a tea cup.
Old May 7, 2006, 12:10 PM   #8
Administrator

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, guess Im going to have to wait until my camera comes in, probably this week. I am now very apprehensive about the whole thing. what was supposed to be exciting has turned into a worry because of what ive read online.
I really wouldn't worry about it. It's blown out of proportion. You'll find the same complaints for almost any camera model if you look for them.

Do some google searches for examples of complaints.

Search for EOS-20D banding

Search for EOS-5Dbanding

Search for D70banding

Search for D200banding

It happens in some conditions. No camera is going to have perfect image quality in all conditions, especially at higher ISO speeds. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 2:04 PM   #9

i've had my 30D for about a month, and while i can find noise if i look for it, even at ISO400, it's certainly not objectionable, and is only visible in large views on my monitor. i'm quite accustomed to running a photo through Neat Image if the noise is too great, and i've used that program even with my 30D on a few occasions where the background is such that any noise at all will be visible. by and large, though, i don't find it to be a problem...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 6:00 PM   #10

I cant work out why there would be more noise given that one of the so called pluses the info on this camera had in the specs was lack of noise at higher ISOs