Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 10, 2006, 9:47 PM   #1

i've read a couple of other threads here about noise, and it's beginning to make me wonder if my new 30D is in fact as "noise free" as it should be. as this is my first DSLR, i have no frame of reference other than my Panasonic FZ20, which is MUCH noisier, especiallyat ISO400... here are some shots, or rather, parts of shots, taken with my 30D. all were taken at ISO400, ona cloudy day, using a Tamron 24-135 lens at 1/200 or 1/250, with apertures between f6.3 and f7.1. these have not been resized - they are "pieces"cut out of the original images at full size, with no processing whatsoever. is the level of noise in these samples excessive?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2006, 10:45 PM   #2

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you, but I ran #1 thru Noise Ninja .....
Attached Images

drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:48 PM   #3

drewaz wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you, but I ran this thru Noise Ninja .....
Drew, i have Neat Image and can easily achieve the same results; i'm just not sure if i should have to. the question really is, is the noise in these unprocessed images normal for the Canon xxD series sensors, or do i have one that'snoisier than it should be?
Old May 11, 2006, 3:48 AM   #4

squirl033,

It looks like your shots are "normal" levels of noise. I have the Canon 350D and while it's sensor is slightly different than the 30D (or 20D) noise levels are very similar according to all good technical test sites / reviews.

From my experience, my camera would exhibit the same amounts of noise as your photos display at that ISO of 400. I consider that very good. It seems only the Canon 5D is significantly (well rather... slightly) better. I think you should be happy with those results. Crops at 100% will always show noise (and artifacted pixels) clearer.

Keep shooting and sharing. I never consider your shots noisy. They're good!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 8:12 AM   #5

thanks, Paul. i didn't think these were excessive, but i'd read so much hype that said the xxD cameras had "virtually no noise", and with only my FZ20 to compare to, i wasn't sure if this was what was meant by "low noise" or not. it's a LOT less noisy than the FZ20, and certainly in prints or at any normal on-screen viewing size the noise is either absent or not objectionable, but i wanted to get a second opinion on the overal noise level, just to see if what i'm getting is normal.
Old May 11, 2006, 9:04 AM   #6

I just got my canon 30d today and ran a few tests, yes there is noise if you shoot into cloudy skies, some noise in dark areas at 400 ISO. I shoot much of my wildlife shots at ISO 400 and I feel the trade off here for me is the rapid shooting in comparison to my 300D which did not appear to have as much noise. This does not bother me too much as I always run my photos through noise reduction anyway. Gotta say that this camera feels great and is well set out in comparison with the 300d. As Ive not had much time to experiment with the camera yet I cant report much more.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 9:26 AM   #7

Are those pictures in the RAW format?* I've noticed that JPEGS can be a little soft from the 30D.* Your examples look to be 100% crops from their original picture which can bring out some posterization in those out-of-focus background areas.Shoot in the RAW format whenever possible, that puts you in control on processing of the picture.Denis
dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 9:40 AM   #8

dionysius wrote:
Quote:
Are those pictures in the RAW format?? I've noticed that JPEGS can be a little soft from the 30D.? Your examples look to be 100% crops from their original picture which can bring out some posterization in those out-of-focus background areas.Shoot in the RAW format whenever possible, that puts you in control on processing of the picture.Denis
no, these are JPEGs, and yes, they are 100% crops. as i mentioned, in normal on-screen viewing, or in prints, the noise isn't an issue. like Aladyforty, i'm used to using NR software, especially for low-light or blue-sky shots, so it's not a big deal, i just wondered if these noise levels are normal for the 20D/30D. i've only had the camera for a month, and am still getting used to the functions and handling; once i'm a little more up to speed on the mechanics, i'll probably start shooting RAW, to see if it really makes a difference for my purposes. first, though, i'll need good RAW software...
Old May 11, 2006, 10:28 AM   #9

Coming from 10D, I was expecting a lot less less noise at higher ISO but at least to me, it seems nosie is same when I compare my 30Dto my 10D at ISO400.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 10:39 AM   #10

Why wait?* Shooting RAW makes a big difference!* You can always save them as JPEGS.* *Try both RAW and JPEG and then view them with the software provided by Canon.* In the contact view you'll be able to tell immediately the difference between the two.You've got a RAW editor that came with the camera.* While not the best, it's not that bad.* What do you currently use for editing your images?Denis
dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote