Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 17, 2006, 3:09 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
If that is not the fact, I do not know why people quickly replacing their kit lens with more expensive ones?
The 18-55 is a poor lens in many respects; build-quality, CA, distortion, poor maximum aperture, no IS, no USM. There are a lot of good reasons to replace it!

When a person new to a DSLR starts moaning about sharpness however the chances are the problem is not the lens. Sharpness is the one aspect of the 18-55 where it's actually not that bad at all.

A lot of people replace the 18-55 for good reasons, but many replace it for a bad one; which is that their pictures are "not sharp"and instead of blaming their own skillsthey blame the lens.

It's a much sharper lens than one of my old 28-90 kit lenses that I had for my EOS 50E. I tried that for a bit and switched back to the 18-55. By only having to design for a smaller sensor the engineers really can make a better EF-S (wide-angle) lens than an EF lens at a given price.

But yes after a few months of the 18-55 (once I had learned to get very sharp pictures with it) I did upgrade to the 17-85 because I wanted a lens with a bigger range and faster focus.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 4:12 PM   #12

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
When a person new to a DSLR starts moaning about sharpness however the chances are the problem is not the lens.
To set the record straight;I was not "moaning" about lens problem. I don't even use 18-55 kit lens...:blah:

I was complaining about my lack of knowledge and was, and is still looking for help for getting better at this new skill... I am a bit confused at the way discussion is going. I had no intentions to make anyone mad at my comments...

Are there any good books on 30D camera I can read and follow? Are there any good workflows for 30D RAW I can read up on and use:?

harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 5:06 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quite right - I was the one who went off-topic - my apologies.
Old May 17, 2006, 5:28 PM   #14

After having got used to my 20d in jpeg images, I decided to start having a go with raw files.

The problem I am having is how do I downloadto the various software eg, raw shooter, Canons digital professional, and PS CS2.

The software keepstelling me there is no images on the camera, I know the manual instructions seem pretty straightforward but to be honest I can't see where I'm going wrong, has anyone else had this problem please?

Rico.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 3:25 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Rico, the best solution is to use a card reader, much easier than using the USB and saves on camera batteries too.

I have not found the photo programs very good at downloading RAW files from the camera via USB. Actually - none I've tried managed it on first go, and I never really bothered to see if I could force them to get it right.

I would rather drag them to a location that I choose on the hard disk and then open them in the editor afterwards.

If you want to use Windows Explorer to simply get at the files for copy via USB then change the communications mode in your camera to PTP. I believe there is an error in the 20D manual when it comes to this setting.

Old May 18, 2006, 4:31 AM   #16

Thanks Peri, do you know you have made my day by suspecting an error in the manual. I mean when I kept trying to fathom it out and was getting nowhere it became frustrating, I'll do exactly as you suggest and do it with a card reader as I am quite excited about working with raw as the creative range seems enormous.

Rico.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 10:57 AM   #17

You also mentioned EXIF viewer...I just came across this one this morning...it's great, and it's free! It can also show you number of camera actuations if you're using a Canon 1 series DSLR: http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:59 PM   #18

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
You also mentioned EXIF viewer...I just came across this one this morning...it's great, and it's free! It can also show you number of camera actuations if you're using a Canon 1 series DSLR: http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html
This sounds like a good tool to study digital photography details and learn from it. I am always afraid of downloading freeware due to the concerns of viruses or spy-ware included in it. How safe is this software?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 1:31 PM   #19

Safe enough that I have it on my laptop and desktop? Desktop running Norton Antivirus 2006 w/ the latest virus definitions. Laptop running some sort of corporate antivirus w/ latest definitions as well.

You'll be surprised by the number of quality freeware stuff out there...
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 5:29 PM   #20

I agree. As long as you have up-to-date antivirus (AVG is one, which is free) and anti-spyware (spybot is great & free) then there is hardly anything to worry about. You will miss out on a lot of things if you daren't try free software :-)

Although, software that screams out FREEEE! with big letters all over a webpage should make you suspicious. They are usually less free than the ones which just state it in plain text... :-)
naylor83 is offline   Reply With Quote