Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 16, 2006, 1:32 AM   #1
KSS

I made a huge error when updating the firmware on my Canon EOS 20D. I forgot to remove the lens when I did the update. I called the Canon help line and talked to three different people there. None of them could answer my questions as to if any harm was caused to my camera or if I need to do anything additional. What should I do, or what should I be looking for? Has anyone had any experience with this? Has anyone ever made the same mistake? The camera updated to the new firmware version, and appears to not have any problems. Thanks I appreciate everyone's input.
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 3:37 AM   #2

You say that the firmware is showing on the camera as being updated and you say it all seems to be working correctly. I would say that you are OK. To be sure, go through and check every setting on the camera and take test shots.

I think you should be fine though.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 8:57 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Not to be too obtuse, but why do you think that leaving the lens on would damage the camera?

If your firmware update goes wrong you'll definitely know about it. The camera won't work at all!
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 10:24 AM   #4

It is stated right on Canons web site to remove the lens when doing a firmware upgrade as it *might* cause issues. Not sure why. :?
Go here http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos20...irmware-e.html and note the green "note" box on the first page :-) This bit of info used to be missing from the downloaded upgrade instructions, not sure if it has been added yet.

If the update says it succeded and the camera is still working, you are OK.

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Not to be too obtuse, but why do you think that leaving the lens on would damage the camera?

If your firmware update goes wrong you'll definitely know about it. The camera won't work at all!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 4:33 PM   #5
KSS

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your replies.I was concerned because the warning on the firmware update site was so boldly stated and repeated and no one at the Canon service line could answer why the lens had to be removed.. I will do as you say Dave and go through every setting and take test shots. As it stands now the firmware did register as being updated and the camera is functional, but I will be sure to do the tests. I was also concerned as to if it may have altered the calibration for the lens that was on the camera. (Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM).

I really appreciate everyone's reply.

Kevin
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 4:29 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Actually I have a vague memory now of the very first firmware update for the 20D going wrong if certain lenses were still attached.

So perhaps it's just a generic warning now.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 9:16 AM   #7

battery drain?
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 10:08 AM   #8
NHL

Yap - minimizing the current drain by removing the lens is a good precaution...

Bad thing can happen when the battery run out in the middle of an upgrade
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 9:26 AM   #9

The 20D was plagued by many problems when it first came out and one of them was a situation where the camera became inoperable if certain lenses were left on the camera during firmware upgrades. You won't see this advice on the 10D or 5D firmware instructions.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote