Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 17, 2006, 8:32 PM   #1

Sometimes I forget to switch my camera off, but it "auto-offs" itself when I forget. That got me to thinking - why do I need to use the switch at all?
Thanx,
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 4:47 AM   #2
NHL

It's for more for security/convenience

In auto-off the camera can accidentally turn on in transport inside a camera bag if pressure is appled to the right button or if the user wants to prolong battery life... The camera still draws current (even tiny) when it's in auto-off mode - Major circuits are shutdown, but the processors stil run, albeit at lower frequency to detect the CF door or the shutter release for example where the power would be restored.

Turning the camera off is like removing the battery entirely from the camera
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 5:25 AM   #3

Thanx NHL -
I think I will leave the switch on for the most part and turn it off at the end of the day.
Ron
Old May 18, 2006, 3:40 PM   #4

A good idea Ron as that special shot could be missed when you fiddle with the switch, I know it's only a second but sometimes that's all it takes.

Rico.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 8:09 AM   #5

The idea with the 20D is it's ability to power up "instantly". I shoot horse events and turnng the camera off is counterproductive to the readiness of shooting. I can shoot for a day+ (600-800 shots) and get no indication of battery drain.

Switching the camera off every few minutes is kinda silly. It is a tool mean't to be used to its full extent.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 5:53 PM   #6

I guess I need to clarify. When I am out shooting for several hours, I normally keep the switch "on". Howerver, if I'm not going to be shooting for a while, (like for lunch), I normally turn it off. Now I plan to just leave it on until the end of the "shoot".
Thanx to all,
Ron