Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 21, 2006, 9:47 PM   #1

on the 20d when you remove the lens and you see the mirror inside the body, is there any special care that i should know of before cleaning the mirror
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 10:15 PM   #2
NHL

Just don't touch it!

Dust on the mirror is harmless...
-> you can't see it (the dust on the mirror) in the viewfinder, and when the image is projected to the sensor the mirror is already folded up and out of the way (and that's how you're supposed to clean the sensor) :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:32 AM   #3

And to add to NHL's post, the chances of particles finding their way onto the sensor are pretty high while you're cleaning the mirror, which is much more of a hassle.

So it really isn't worth it.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 12:22 PM   #4

I would say if someone is ready to clean the sensor, why not do the same thing with mirror? I think using those 'special' sensor brushes would do the trick.

If we leave the dust on the mirror it could go back to sensor as well ...

How sensitive is the mirror to brush touch in the locked position? Someone has to try and if afraid of using brush, rocket blower may do the job. If dust goes to the sensor it will be just one more in the row since we have to clean the sensor regularly.
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 2:37 PM   #5
NHL

IMO the mirror is more 'sensitive' than the sensor...

1. It's not protected by any filter
2. The AF sensor on the Canon's use the mirror to focus so if the mirror mechanism ends up slighly off then so is the focusing (i.e. front/back focus if off from the 45 degree angle)
Old May 24, 2006, 5:49 PM   #6

NHL I agree there. One thing is not clear to me: mirror flaps up-and down and it is 'tested' for up to 100.000 shots. So it is exposed to daily mechanical 'stress'. I am not saying I will clean my mirror ... but not sure if slight touch (or air from rocket blower) can do any damage? Do you have any link about DSLR (or SLR) camera mirror mechanism or how to clean it (or not even think about it?).
Old May 24, 2006, 6:21 PM   #7

Here are some links I've found about DSLR mirror:

http://www.all-things-photography.com/digital-slr.html
Quote:
Mirror - This mirror allows you to see, through the viewfinder, almost exactly what you will photograph by reflecting the image up, and into the eyepiece. It flips up the instant that you press the shutter release and returns once the picture is taken. Never touch the mirror with your fingers and use special cleaning equipment and solutions. Some mirrors can be replaced but it is costly. Any dust on the mirror will not appear in your photographs, so if in doubt, leave it alone.
http://philip.greenspun.com/photogra...tal-slr-system

Quote:
Also never try to clean an SLR mirror yourself. Dust on the mirror will not appear on your images and it is very easy to damage the mirror surface.
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...00DUUz&tag=

Quote:
Cleaning your mirror by yourself in my opinion is as smart as peforming your own appendectomy on yourself. Not only does it hurt a lot, but one slip of the knife and you've committed seppoku (hara-kiri).
Quote:
I have always cleaned the mirrors on my SLR's on a routine basis and never had issues. There seems to be lots of anxiety about scratching the silver, so I actually dismantled an old SLR and tried to scratch the mirror during normal cleaning operations myself. I was finally able to do it, but not with a proper lens cloth and fluid, only piece of dry cotton cloth. The mirror surface is more durable then we think. I have always blown the surface clean with compressed air, then thorougly soaked it with alcohol (Eclipse is the best, lately). Then, blot (not wipe!) it clean. Never a problem during nearly 10 years. Good luck with your project.
Quote:
If you're worried about the mechanics of the mirror being messed up, consider that the mechanism is made to withstand flipping up and down at high speed, at up to 6fps in the case of your F3. Touching it very very lightly is not going to harm it!
Quote:
cleaning a flip-up mirror and cleaning a dSLR sensor are very different things. Most flip-up mirrors are silvered on the front - the silvering is extremely delicate and vulnerable to damage from inexpert attempts at cleaning.

And as you progress with reading, you will see that cleaning the mirror is definitivelly sensitive issue but more or or less depending on the individual. About the same as for cleaning the sensor.

Again, I wouldn't clean it ifnotnecessary. And I am sure rocket blower or similar device (when used with care) will not do any damage to the mirror!

Old May 25, 2006, 2:55 PM   #8
NHL

GM2006 wrote:
Quote:
Do you have any link about DSLR (or SLR) camera mirror mechanism or how to clean it (or not even think about it?).
Just this:

-> There's another sub-mirror behind the 45[sup]o[/sup] main mirror projecting the image down to the AF sensors inside the openings on the bottom of the body...
This sub-mirror is folded up against the primary mirror when it is up so how do you get to that one? :-)
Old May 26, 2006, 2:12 PM   #9

Sub-mirror? Does every DSLR have one? Many people will not think of cleaning anything that they cannot see. So if ever happens that this 'sub-mirror' get any dust on it ... who cares! As long as focusing works fine ...