Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2003, 8:27 AM   #1

Default Beginner Kit for D10

My friend talked me in to buying DSLR instead of G3, and my budget is very limited.

I want to have setup that will help me to learn about all aspects of photography, not the high quality/speed lens. Also I understand that D10 + 50mm will do the job for budget setup, and the later I can invest in good lenses, but...

But I am from Belgrade, Yugoslavia I don't have opportunity to walk in store and get another lens. I have to "order" equipment from friend in US and he will bring it to me once in year or two. So I really need to build Beginner Kit with this one "order". And to help you understanding market here, used G3 costs 900 EUR!

Here is setup that is affordable to me:

D10 body - 1500

Lens Kit 1 = 500
-------------
24-70mm, Sigma f3.5-5.6 HF - 99
70-300mm, Sigma f4-5.6 DL Macro Super - 149
50mm, Sigma f2.8EX Macro - 249

Lens Kit 2 = 650-700
-------------
19-35mm, f3.4-4.5 Phoenix, Vivitar, Tokina, Tamron -150-200
28-300mm, Sigma f3.5-6.3 DL IF HyperZoom - 250
50mm, Sigma f2.8EX Macro - 249

In second combination for WA I don't know what difference between these four brands is, looks same to me. And should I add that famous 50mm f1.8 lens to both combinations?

Also I am very afraid about Sigma lens rechiping. Someone mentioned it is needed for pre 2000 models. If I buy it now as new, is there chance to buy 2000 model in shops? I guess new means year old at most? Any places where I can for sure buy compatible Sigma lens?

And what other accessories I need? Tripod, Remote Switch, Cleaning Kit?

If someone can recommend cheap compact tripod, it will help me a lot. With this cheap lens, tripod is a must I guess...

Or should I just keep with G3?

Thanks in advance,
Absolute Beginner!
ajevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2003, 12:48 AM   #2
pod

I'm guessing you already have memory? If not, you need to purchase a CF card, 512 MB minimum...

Depending on your shooting, you may have to get an external flash, too...
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 12:06 PM   #3

Dear Absolute,
I'm another beginner (At least to digital at this level)

I'm surprised that you have the 50mm lens on both packages.
Hopefully, you are aware of the 1.6 multiplier for this size CCD. In other words, 50mm=80mm (in terms relative to 35mm film). While 80 mm is a nice length, I got a 24-85 zoom as my primary lens. More or less equivilent to my old 35-135mm lens on 35 mm camera.

I'm happy for now and may pick up a fixed telephoto and wide angle later, though the zooms seem pretty close in price to the fixed.

thmerwald
Thomerwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 4:14 AM   #4

In ColorFoto 3/2003 (German foto magazine) three compact zooms were tested

Sigma 28-300 76/72/74 points for 28/200/300 mm
Sigma 28-200 71/72/66 points for 28/135/200 mm
Tamron 28-300 66/67/65 points for 28/135/300 mm

Because of compactness I bought Sigma 28-200 compact zoom and use it "all day". For wide angel Tamron 19-35.

Some pictures with Sigma 28-200

http://www.pbase.com/donalduc/apple
http://www.pbase.com/donalduc/flowers

Are Canon lenses better? Perhaps ... 5% :-) - for twice the price.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Are Canon lenses better? Perhaps ... 5% - for twice the price.
I generally agree, but that isn't really a fair statment. It all depends on what you need. The canon lens is probably sharper and many will be less suseptable to flare. They also migt offer things which the sigma doesn't. Same f-stop through out the zoom (internal focusing). IS. DO.

But if the Sigma is "good enough for what you do", then the canon is clearly a waste of money.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 10:18 AM   #6

Perhaps you should try the new 10D with just one lens first like the EF 24-85mm USM if your budget is limited. When you lean more and feel comfortable with phtography, you will have better ideas of what is the next lens you want to buy to add to your system.

Canon lens works better and functional with Canon camera well than any other brands. Off brands lenses like Sigma EX, Tamron SP, Tokina ATX lenses, they built with very good optics and can compete with Canon lens, but for AF performance, they are so far behind Canon AF USM. When I first start my hobby in photography, I have tried several brands of lenses, but after 10 years doing this, my collection of lenses now are 100% Canon and Nikon (I used both brands), I sold all of my off brand lenses. But you can only buy what you can afford, if you want to sleep well at night (at least worry free), purchasing of any affordable Canon lens is highly recommended.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:36 AM   #7
pod

Lens wise, Sigmas and the like are all reverse-engineered...i.e. Sigma hooks up a Canon lens to a PC and figures out the control protocol on their own, then writes a compatible one, and releases lenses based on it. Often, the implementation is not 100%...your third-party glass could not work on the next Canon body you buy. It happened with the 10D...some Sigma lenses just did not work, and Sigma had to extend an offer to reprogram the "defective" lenses...the nasty (though unlikely) rumour is Canon did this deliberately to get people to ditch the 3rd party glass and go with their own..

I'd honestly stick with Canon glass...only go with a third-party lens when it's the only kind available...i think there's a sigma wide angle lens that Canon has no competition for...
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 5:35 AM   #8
NHL

The other consideration beside cost and optical performance, which are all trade-off... There's also the weight factor! and it's the main reason I choose the Sigma EXs and they are also quite speedy and quiet with their ultrasonic HSM 8)

There's nothing wrong with saving both money and heft!!! :?
BTW Canon does make a really nice 50mm f1.0 for portrait @ 1.6x that no other manufacturers have... and I'm buying
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 6:37 AM   #9

I have not yet been able to get one, but I have seen many very good reports on optical performance of the very reasonably priced Canon F1.8X 50mm lens. I plan to use it for some portraits with my 10D as it is equivalent to 80mm.
siggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:11 AM   #10
NHL

Quote:
I have not yet been able to get one, but I have seen many very good reports on optical performance of the very reasonably priced Canon F1.8X 50mm lens. I plan to use it for some portraits with my 10D as it is equivalent to 80mm.
That's the idea... any 50mm will make a good portrait (I'd go for the f1.4 for slighly more), the normal 85mm is now too long ops:

Also lets not be too snobbish and give Tamron credit for making the smallest and most popular 28-105mm f2.8 around!
BTW when people judge a picture, the last thing they'll have on their mind are the lens resolution chart! Beside anyone familiar with Photoshop will realize that to make a composition pleasing the 1st thing to do is to apply Gaussian blur with 30-40% opacity and selectively erasing areas to reveal sharpness... especially portraits!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote