Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 24, 2006, 9:39 AM   #1

Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase a Canon 350d in the next wee while, but i'm at a loss when it comes to choosing a lens. I'm only an amature, and plan to use this camera as the next step up from myExilimso I'm looking for an all-rounder if possible.

I had originally planned to purchase the IS 28-135 mm, but in very broken English, the salesman (I'm shopping in China) insisted that it wouldn't work with the 350d, and suggested a more expensive EF-S 17-85 ...

I'm reading reviews left right and centre about the 350d and the 28-135 so does anyone have the inside track?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

P.S If buying one lens to cover me while travelling, what would you recommend? I don't want to have to carry 3 lenses around with me, and I'm particularly interested in landscape and portraits (awkward, I know!)

amri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 10:11 AM   #2

Amri,

I'm afraid the salesman didn't know what he/she was talking about. The 28-135 will indeed work on your 350. I have the 28-135 and it is still my walkaround lens for my 20D. It is a very good lens. Is it an 'L' lens? No. But there are a lot of happy shooters out there that use it. The 17-85 was designed as the DSLR version of the 28-135. On a 1.6x crop camera (like the 350) the 17-85 behaves like a 27-136mm lens would behave on a full size sensor - while the 28-135 becomes a 45-216mm lens. Performance of the lenses is comparable. The 17-85 has newer and improved image stabilization. But it is more expensive and it will only work on a 1.6x crop camera - so if you ever upgraded to say a 5d (full size sensor) or other non-1.6x model the lens could not be used.

But it also depends on what focal range is going to be more beneficial to YOU for your walkaoround lens. Is the added reach of the 28-135 of more use or is the added wide angle of the 17-85? That's something only you can answer based on what you shoot. But both lenses will work on the 350.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the very informative reply JohnG.

My one concern about the 28-135 mm was actually the weight, but its good to have the reassurance that it would actually work.

I'm reading a lot about the Canon 50mm lens also.I'm afraid I really AM just an amature, but is this just a fixed lens with no zoom? I imagine this would be a good lens to have in conjunction with the 28-135?

How about the Kit lens as well as the zoom? I've heard bad reports about the quality - would just affect the professionals, or am I likely to notice?

Cheers,
Amri

Old May 24, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4

Amri,

The 50mm lens is fixed. There are actually 2 different lenses: a 50mm 1.8 and a 50mm 1.4 - both are great.

The kit lens is a decent lens - especially for the price. It sounds like you're not too sure what you want yet - and that's OK.

My advice in that case would be to stick with just the kit lens. Don't waste money by buying a bunch of lenses right off the bat - you'll just end up with expensive paper weights. Save your money and stick with a single lens - the kit lens being the least expensive. Then after you've used the camera for a while you can determine what lens is best for YOU. You may find you are happy with the kit and want longer zoom. I especially wouldn't recommend buying the kit lens AND the 28-135. If you're comfortable with either the 17-85 purchase or 28-135 purchase than buy those with the camera and wait on purchasing any more lenses. If you want to be more cautios just buy the camera with kit lens and take your time until you can determine what the 2nd lens in your arsenal should be.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:45 AM   #5

That sounds reasonable John - jees I must sound like I have 1000 quid burning a hole in my pocket!

Given all the bad press about the Kit lens, I immediately dismissed it - thought it might be better to use my buying power to get a discount on a better qualitylens.

As I said before, I don't particularly want to have to lug around 2 lenses (I'm travelling through China currently), but I don't want something thatwill just 'do' either. I don't mind investing the money on a good quality lens that will cover most situations while travelling. (semi decent portraits, decent zoom, but nothing too narrow either - not too bothered about macro)

Its quite difficult to choose given the amount of money involved, I'm not au fait with all the jargon just yet ... so that doesn't help my situation either! Argh!

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2006, 1:01 PM   #6

Hi Amri, try Sigma 18-200 DC. I have been using this lens on 350D for the past 6months and I am very much satisfied. It is an excellent walkaround lens covering all needs. If you are thinking of one lens, consider it seriously.
Adiseshanaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 5:53 PM   #7

The main walk around lens for mt Rebel XT is the Canon 28/135 IS/USM.
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 12:45 AM   #8

Mine is the 17-85mm IS. A little heavy but the picture came out wow......! I bought mine in kits lens package from sammy photo.
tylerhoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 2:42 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Of course everything depends on your shooting style.

45mm equivalent is NOT a wide angle of any sort. So any 28-xx lens is fine for its purpose but forget about group shots, landscape work, etc.

Even 28mm equivalent (i.e. 18mm on 350D) isn'tthat wide! But I would recommend it as a sensible minimum for any traditional landscape shot.

So IMO you should really start with a lens that starts at 17/18mm if that's going to be your only lens. If you forced me to choose between the 18-55 cheap kit lens and the 28-135 (a much better lens in general) as my one and only lens I would choose the 18-55 because of the focal length range.

You do have the chance generally to get the 17-85 with the 350D as a kit and get a good discount on because you're getting the camera at the same time, so I'd suggest looking into that as an option.

So the salesman was wrong if he meant that it "won't function" but IMO he was right to warn you not to buy it as your only lens.

Adiseshanaikmade a very good suggestion too...

Withqualityaround the same as the cheap kit lens) you could go for one of the 18-200 lenses, which gives a very useful effectiverange of 28-320.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote