Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 27, 2006, 1:07 PM   #1

Hi all,

After long long long deliberation, I have finally decided to go for a canon 350d, or kiss as they are known here in Japan. I`ve found a body only going for just over 65,000 Yen - about 300 UK pounds, and I need to chose which lenses I`ll buy to go with it.

I`m keen on wildlife photography so would like to get a half decent zoom. Money is an issue at the moment so I am (unfortunately) looking at a budget lens for now.

From what i`ve read it seems like the Sigma AP0 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO isn`t a bad bet - I can this for around 20,000 Yen (100 pounds). However for the same price I could also getthe Canon EF 90-300mm f4.5-5.6 Lens.

Does anyone have any opinions as to which you be the best choice for me ?

As I said, I`m into wildlife photography so I suppose a faster lens would be preferable.

Thanks!

A Geezer From East London is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 8:00 PM   #2

How much would the Canon 75-300 IS/USM cost you? I have one for my Rebel XT & really like it for the same purpose you mentioned.
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3

Hi,

I`ve just checked - that lens is a bit more - 300 quid. Certainly something i`d like to get in the future, but maybe not quite yet. (unless the IS is THAT amazing, of course!!!)

How good is the IS ? what does it enable you to do? Some once mentioned that in bright light situations you don`t really need one - is this right ?

hmm - I am tempted!
Old May 27, 2006, 10:58 PM   #4

Old May 28, 2006, 9:07 AM   #5

IS allows you to shoot at about 2 shutter speed slower than you could normally hold steady & the image will still be sharp. I like it.
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote