Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 31, 2006, 2:37 AM   #11

spy wrote:
Quote:
IDo your research on "slide zooms"like the 100 - 400. The Canon reps will and should tell you that dust, sand and other elements will get inside this type of lens very easily and if your going to find yourself standing on windy beaches often, I'll bet it won't take long for something to blow inside of it.

- Noise is far less an issue with the 20 - 30D, HOWEVER I always capture my sports shots with the ISO settings at 3200. This helps push the shutter faster and then I run the photos I want to keep through a noise program. So Noise is a non-issue.
The dust,sand issue getting inside coz. of the push-pull zoom is total bs, IMHO. Just like you hear all these threads about 100-400 being soft at 400mm. Yes, I own one and I have seen what 50-500mm can do and I will take 100-400 anyday, if don't need 500mm.

Regarding shooting sports all the time 3200 ISO, I think there is no subsitute for fast apertures.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:45 PM   #12
spy

To Bobbyz:

The issue of sand or dust getting inside a slide zoom can't be TOTTALY bs as I was shopping around for a 100 - 400 at two seperate canon camera stores and the first question I had asked both canon sales reps was "what are the cons with a slide zoom"? Both answers were interesting as the FIRST answer, from both reps was, "The slide zoom allows dust to enter the lens quite easily as the 100 - 400 is not a sealed unit". Then discussion led to the different examples of some customers who had this issue. So for what it's worth, I felt the answer from the rep was an honest one.

As far as your statement: "Regarding shooting sports all the time 3200 ISO, I think there is no subsitute for fast apertures."

I agree in part. With sports shooting you do need fast apertures, no question about it, however aperture and ISO's are 'hand in hand'. Pump up the ISO, your shutter speeds up, turn it down and your shutter slowes down. This happens with any aperture 2.8 or other. My swimming sports shooting is always indoors so I do not have the luxury of an open outside swimming pool with lots of sun light. If I was outside, an ISO setting of 3200 would put the shutter speed over the top at 2.8. So because I am inside my 2.8 70 - 200 @ISO 3200 gives me roughly 650 - 1000 shutter speed. Turn that same ISO down to 100 my shutter will decrease dramatically.

So you can't just have fast apertures alone.

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:57 PM   #13

Spy,

If I may, I had a similar reaction to Bobbyz to your comment about always shooting at ISO3200. While I agree that you can use ISO3200 you should only use it if you are already shooting as wide as possible. So, for instance, shooting sports at f2.8 ISO 1600 is preferable to shooting the same sport at f4.0 ISO 3200.

Noise reduction software works great, but you still lose some image detail. If you are fortunate enough to be able to fill the frame with your initial shot, the loss in quality is not so bad. But if you are forced to crop then the loss in quality becomes more noticable.

So, to the point in question - if using the 100-400 or 50-500 at 5.6 you need ISO 3200 the images will be lesser quality than using a 2.8 lens at ISO 800. Not arguing 3200 isn't sometimes necessary - just that it's the last resort.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:34 PM   #14

gardensurf wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm sold! Time to visit the bank!

From the sample photos I've seen, I'm guessing sharpness will also improve (with 100-400 mm) over the lens in the FZ20.

Also, can anyone suggest any good sites for buying second-hand gear (apart from Ebay). They must be able to ship worldwide as I live in New Zealand!

Thanks again!

...apart from ebay...I get most of my gear from fredmiranda.com's buy/sell forum. Photo.net and dgrin.com also has a buy/sell forum...but I haven't purchased anything from those two. I've bought and sold thousands of $$$ worth of photo gear in FM.

I find FM's sellers more upfront and honest about the gear they sell than ebay sellers.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:37 PM   #15

I have the same outfit as tylerhoang
and can vouch for his experience. I previously used an Olympus 740UZ with all the same issues as gardensurfand his Panasonic. The Canon XT solved all of them. And yes, with the flexability available, depth of field can be managed, especially if you have an IS lens.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 2:14 PM   #16

Spy,

Well don't trust what the canon reps tells. Most don't know a little more than average user on these forums.

Regarding apertures, I would say use the fast aperture at lowest possible ISO to get the required shutter speed for your needs. Keeping ISO fixed at 32oo, you loosing a lots of details. But if that makes you happy so be it.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:25 PM   #17
spy

Thank you. Good adivse.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote