Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 29, 2006, 4:15 PM   #1

figured out i need a card reader...whats the best firewire card reader i can buy?

i changed communication to ptp on camera but it says busy a long time til camera goes into sleep mode as i have it set to 1 minute. any help will be appreciated thanks
BLove145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 2:47 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Are you sure you need a firewire card reader??

USB2 will stream data far faster than the fastest cards can send it. There are a zillion USB readers available.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 6:13 AM   #3

firewire is no longer the HS answer to your needs. sandisk puts out a simple USB2 reader that replaced my 2 previous FW readers and out did them both for $20. its the imagemate CF reader. sold 1 FW reader so far. the other just sits in the Drawer. i move fairly large files too since i predominantly shoot raw with 1Ds2.

also depending on your machine if we are talking laptop and it not one of the new gensstill using PCMCIA a 32bit cardbus reader will blow both away. if we are talking new gen using expresscard there is currently one CF reader out there and it won't fit a macintel due to macs implementation of expresscard at this point. but when put into a dell it is damned fast depending on the card you pop into it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 2:41 PM   #4

all i needed to do was install digital photo professional and can transfer and edit the files in this program
BLove145 is offline   Reply With Quote