Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1

I'm planning to buy Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 XR Di Aspherical (IF) for Canon 30D.
I cannot find one for DSLR. In Amazon it is marked as "for Canon SLR camera" .

1. How will I identify the one for Canon DSLR?
2. What does the "XR", "Di", "IF" stands for?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:58 PM   #2

You will only find Canon lenses for two systems any more (in my experience.) Either FD or EF lens mounts..
The FD lenses will not work on an DSLR. That is a much older lens technology.
The EF (I think that is also called the EOS lens mount) will work on all Canon DSLRs.

Canon makes an EF-S lens mount which only fits certain Canon DSLR cameras, and NO film SLR cameras. But you didn't ask about that.

IF stands for internal focusing. It means the lens doesn't get longer when you change the focal length. They are normally more expensive to make and therefor more expensive in general.

XR and Di... I don't remember (but then again, I don't have any Tamron lenses so I don't need to know.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:35 PM   #3
NHL

FYI - http://www.tamron.com/lenses/default.asp

I always thought 'IF' means the front of the lens doesn't rotate because the focusing is done internally (this help with the polarizer)

... while 'internal zooming' means the lens doesn't extend-out or retract-in, therefore changing the focal lenght as one zoom! (help with the balance when the lens is on a tripod or handheld) :roll:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 4:37 AM   #4

[size=The link to Tamron site says "Di" means Digitally Integrated Design. So can I buy this lens for Canon 30D, marked "Di"? I'm worried whether the camera gives any errors, if I use non-canon lens. Please some one confirm is it safe to buy the above Tamron lens for Canon 30D.][/size]
[size=Also is there a site for good reviews on Canon lens and Non-Canon lens?][/size]
Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:29 AM   #5
NHL

Glass wrote:
Quote:
Also is there a site for good reviews on Canon lens and Non-Canon lens?
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html
http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/lenstests
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:15 PM   #6

That Tamron will work great on your Canon 30D. I use it on my 20D, 10D and will use it on my soon to have 30D also.

Glass wrote:
Quote:
[size=The link to Tamron site says "Di" means Digitally Integrated Design. So can I buy this lens for Canon 30D, marked "Di"? I'm worried whether the camera gives any errors, if I use non-canon lens. Please some one confirm is it safe to buy the above Tamron lens for Canon 30D.]
[size=Also is there a site for good reviews on Canon lens and Non-Canon lens?]
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:29 AM   #7

Quote:
That Tamron will work great on your Canon 30D. I use it on my 20D, 10D and will use it on my soon to have 30D also.
Aha... Now I have a good question for you.

I've noticed that this Tamron lens works very well with Canon 10D. I've never seen any sample pictures from 20D or 30D as sharp as 10D, with the above Tamron lens. Is it ture?

Thanks for confirming that I can buy Di marked lens for Canon 30D.

Also how is the picture quality of Canon 50mm 1.8 compared to Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 at 50mm length? Is there any great difference? I wanted to know whether I need to buy 50mm 1.8 lens too, if there is a huge difference between them.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:45 PM   #8

I along with many others use the Tamron on the 20D with no lack of sharpness compared to the 10D.

I have the 50mm 1.8 also. There are times that the 1.8 comes in handy over the 2.8. I tend to usually use the 50mm when inside more than the Tamron. both are great lenses, and with the price of the 50mm f/1.8 being less than $80, you can't go wrong owning both.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:54 PM   #9

I have the tamron 28-75 for my Canon 20D and it is a very sweet lens, a classic really.*I use it a lot.*I also have a Tamron 17-35 that I use a lot as well.**Both lenses are quite nice, and work for different situations.-- Terry*
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:25 AM   #10

I have the Tamron 28-75 2.8 & it works fine on my 30D. I bought it almost spontaniously as I had originally planned on buying the Canon 85mm 1.8 for Concerts in low light, & still plan on doing so. My Tamron also works fine on my DRebel.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote