Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:55 PM   #1

(this is about a 20D I've had for about a year)

I noticed last month I had a spot in the middle right of my pictures, and after some research, I purchased the pecpads and the eclipse cleaner.

I first blew some air at the sensor, and I didn't notice the dust as much, so I didn't touch it. I was out all day yesterday taking pictures and the shots that had a lot of sky showed 2 big spots.

So last everning, I put the camera in sensor cleaning mode (and a note, in all the instructions, it just says to use the menu to do it, but there is normally no menu with this item in fully programmed mode, you have to switch to another mode to get this menu item. But I digress) and used the pads the way I thought it said to do it.

I took a test picture and the big spots had gone to be replace by several smaller, less noticeable spots. Not terrible, but it wasn't a huge improvement. So this time, I got out my manifying glass with the built-in light. Cleaned again. Better, but still a few spots. Cleaned one last time. Not bad but there were a few spots. Not wanting to press my luck, I put it away for the evening.

I came back to it today, and tried it. Better, but I thought I could do better. So I cleaned the dust out with the spray can. For the most part, that works well, however, you have to hold it back 12-18", that way any residue falls out of the spray. I do not suggest it again because some residue did come out. I went outside in the direct sunlight and looked at the sensor. I could finally see it. I cleaned it and looked at it. It was pretty clear that the problem was the swab was to a certain extent just pushing the dust around and not removing it. So I pushed it to the edge, and attempted to then push past the sensor. After five minutes of looking at the sensor in direct sunlight, I thought I'd done well. I took a pictures and finally all the spots are gone.

The words of wisdom I have are:

1) When you get older (i.e. middle age), you need good strong light to see the sensor. I mean, really good light. Like... sunlight. It's the only way I could see the surface of the sensor to look for streaks and dust. Otherwise, it's a guess. It's like cleaning your windshield in the day and then at night, when the light comes through, you see streaks.

2) It's tight in there. Man, way tight. and the trouble is, there's no place to push the dust. It collects in the corners.

3) You need compressed air of some type. I got by with a can, but you need something else that will produce low pressure, medium volumes, and is small. The pumps suggested are too clunky.

4) The pec pads are okay, but the trouble is that you can't easily get dust specks off them, so you end up pushing dust around a lot.

5) The cleaning fluid eclipse seems to do the job, although it will leave a residue if you have too much on your cleaning pad.

6) After you get the sensor clean and the cleaning function shut off (i.e. sensor covered), go back in with compressed air and blow out all the dust. That dust is just waiting to get stuck to the sensor at any moment.

7) The sensor glass is pretty tough and if you use the pec pads and eclipse, I don't think you could easily damage it.

I think the paint brush idea has some merit, and I think that will be what I use next.

The other thing that I hope will help is I recently purchased a 24-105 zoom, so I think I'll be changing lenses a lot less, which should help the problem.

But my impression after doing it is that you won't just go boom-boom and you're done. The main thing is to fine a good light source, and other than sunlight, I don't have one.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:19 AM   #2
spy

I am sorry to hear of your struggle to get the dust out. What you have described is a "chore". I too have owned my 20d for almost a year, picked up "Sensor Swabs" and Eclipse cleaning solution and a hand pufferfor my initial dust problem.

After the first week of owning mine I never took the lens off as there was no need to however I saw dust specks on the pictures, made some inquiriesand purchased the items mentioned above. I then used one swab with cleaning solution and every time since have only used the hand puffer.

To date, I have shot over 7500 pics atswim meets and triathlons so my dust removal practice during set-up isthis EVERY TIME:Turn on the camera, remove the lens, program a sensor clean, use the hand puffer on the sensor, turn off the camera, use the hand puffer on the mirror, install the lens, turn on the camera and I'm good to go. Shoot the event, view them on the monitor and IF I see any dust which is very rare, a couple clicks in PS and their gone.

I do this same practice every time I grab my camera out of the bag for an event. It takes 20 - 30 seconds at most and it's no big deal at all. I have never angled the sensor into the sun tostudyit for dust or streaks. I just do this simple practice and that's it.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:41 PM   #3

No need to apologize.

What do you use for air? I'm convinced that this is the best way. I just sent off for a brush, because I'm not sold on the idea regularly cleaning the sensor with pecpads and eclipse, but the brush and air would be much easier and would probably handle most dust.

Thanks for your kind words of advice.

--Tom
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:53 PM   #4
spy

What I blow the sensor and mirror off with is this:

http://www.thecamerastore.com/Produc...roductID=22805
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:02 PM   #5
spy

Here is some very good advise.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:04 PM   #6

Ha ha SPV, right on.

Nothing like a blower to get the dust off!

I've had my 20D for two years (I think???) and it has never occured to me to clean the sensor.

But then again I'm pretty careful as I switch lenses.

I do clean my lenses, mostly by blowing on them with my lips, about once a month.

Occassionally I use a little lens paper.

-- terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:54 PM   #7

I also agree with spy. I've had my 20d for over a year and have never used anything but a blower. One thing though, do not get one with the brush. The Rocket blower is a good one, mine is made by Promaster. both have a valve to keep them from sucking dust into the bulb so you don't just redistribute the dust. Also to add to Spy's suggested practice, be sure you hold the camera where the sensor is facing down so the dust doesn't fall back on the sensor, and as Spy says, less than a minute and you're ready to go.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:59 PM   #8

Some advice I was given....allways blow out the mirror box first or better yet use an artist brush to remove dust. Do not touch the mirror itself....*****atches really easy.
Never use that brush on the sensor.

I have been told that the mirror only sits in front of the sensor and any dust you blow around when cleaning could land on th sensor thus undoing all your hard work if you cleaned the sensor first.

I mount my camera on a good solid tripod and then turn it backside up and use a strong articulating lamp for lighting.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

David
stellgar is offline   Reply With Quote