Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 17, 2003, 8:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
Eric, Edshroshire,

... The 7 point AF manages to pick the wrong spots sometimes.
Barthold
I have had the 10D since the first shipment. No focus problems (other than the ones I create) during that time.

But, I would definately suggest that unless you are trying to use the AIservo function of letting the 10D "chase" after a moving object, turn off the 7 points, and go with the center point only. If you give it multiple choices to guess what you think the subject of the photo is meant to be, it will guess wrong on occassion. There may be darker / stronger items to the left/behind, right/forward, that it will pick as a focal point.

Go with center point, half depress the button at your subject, and recompose however you like, and shoot. Works almost every time.

I just created a DVD for a golf pro with 840+ shots on it. There were maybe a half dozen other shots that I didn't give to him because of missed focus. And my belief is, THEY WERE MY FAULT... Hey, sometimes I flinched as the ball was coming at me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 10:40 PM   #12

Hi Eric, Jodyq,

Thanks for the kind words! I played with the camera this weekend on a family camping trip. I did switch to the center point only focus indeed. That works like a charm. Like you said, press down half way, compose, shoot. Just too bad that the 'basic modes' don't allow you to select the focus point to use. I programmed the assist button to go to the home-point, and I set the home-point to center focus. That works fine, but I couldn't go back to 7-point focus easily (maybe I missed something). It would have been great if the assist button was a toggle. Press once, it goes to home-point, press again it goes back to whatever it was.

So far I've used the camera mostly in the P mode and portrait mode. I have one shot that the camera totally misguessed exposure wise. I would like to hear someones opinion on why it did that. Maybe I should post the picture and the settings somewhere.

Another question. I understand what evaluative and partial metering are, but I don't understand center-weighted avera metering. The manual is sufficiently vague about it as to leave me slightly puzzled :-)

Thanks!
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 10:49 PM   #13

A few more things I noticed, and forgot to mention in the previous post.

There's a big difference in noise level between the 1600 and 800 ISO mode. I took some shots with 1600 ISO, and the noise does show up, especially in the background around the main subject. Obviously it is a trade-off, if you cannot flash it allows you to still take a picture. But I think I'll stay with up to 800 ISO if I can.

Then a small negative. Auto white balance is pretty poor in indoor lighting. White quickly becomes this reddish color. But the custom white balance fixed it all right up. I was amazed. One shot of a piece of white paper, import the image into the camera's white balance system, and voila, great pictures again! Of course you have to do this for every lighting situation, which is too bad.

While I am rambling.... I like my 28-90mm USM II zoom lens. It is light, very quiet, and has a good range for most shots I like to take. It is the lens I keep on there most of the time. I especially like that it is so light, which makes the camera easy to handle.

Barthold
Old May 19, 2003, 9:11 AM   #14

It's good you learned about the custom white card (actually, it's supposed to be a grey card, but if white works for you then who's to argue?) It seems like an almost foolproof way of improving your pictures. One of the tricky thing of taking pictures indoors is that the lighting can have subtle color casts to them that we might not see, but the camera will pick up on.

If you have a place to post that badly expsoed picture, please do it. I'm interested in learning what the 10D does well and not.

Unfortunately, I don't fully understand the center-weight average as well. I can guess... sure. It's using more of the picture, with a lot less concentration on the center. But I don't know if it's really doing more of an evaluation of the details and lighting characteristics of the whole scene, trying to pick up both the dark and light, and shifting the exposure to compensate.

I bet this is something that Canon don't want to go into too much detail on because it's a difference between the brands. They use different algorithms and methods for doing the fancier metering modes.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 12:41 PM   #15

Hi Eric,

If Canon doesn't say much about center-weighted metering, how can I know when to use it, or not?

I'll try to find a place to post that over-exposed picture.

Barthold
Old May 19, 2003, 2:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
If Canon doesn't say much about center-weighted metering, how can I know when to use it, or not?
Barthold
From the Short-Course book/CD,,,

Big empty box with circle and dot inside....Evaluative:
When using autofocus, the metering system gives special emphasis to the subuct. (otherwise it just takes the whole scene as 35 zones with equal value)

Big empty box with a circle inside....Partial:
Zone covers only 9.5% of viewfinder (much larger area than spot-meter of some cameras)

Big empty box... Center-weighted:
Metes entire scene but gives most importance to center.

My problem with them, other than the no-spot, is the icons are back-arseword.....

Get the Short Course book/CD for the 10D (by Dennis Curtin), you'll love it...

WWW.Shortcourses.com

Jody
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 3:31 PM   #17

RPN icons?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 5:49 PM   #18

JodyQ

Thanks for that description. Do you find the short course book to be a rehash of the manual (with different descriptions) or does it actually give more/deeper info?
Old May 20, 2003, 1:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
If you have a place to post that badly expsoed picture, please do it. I'm interested in learning what the 10D does well and not.
Here it is: http://home.attbi.com/~bartholdl/IMG_5661.JPG It was partly cloudy that day, probably mostly cloudy when I took the shot.

File Name
IMG_5661.JPG
Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 10D
Shooting Date/Time
5/17/2003 5:56:01 PM
Shooting Mode
Program AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/90
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
28.0 - 90.0mm
Focal Length
66.0mm
Image Size
3072x2048
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
One-Shot AF
Parameters
Contrast Normal
Sharpness +2
Color saturation Normal
Color tone Normal
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
3598KB

Barthold

PS My hat off if you guess where this was taken :-)
Old May 20, 2003, 9:11 AM   #20

No idea where it's taken, but I probably wouldn't mind being there. I like to hike and get out in the wilds.

Where was the sun? It looks like there is some lens flare over the tree to the left of the house? If it was in front and above, that could easily have thrown off the metering... I'm a little surprised it threw it off this much, but maybe it did. I believe you'll have to play with the exposure compensation if you want that apeture and shutter speed.