Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 1, 2003, 4:51 PM   #1

Default To the folks that have concerns about the 10D, the verdicts

are in:

On the most recent issue of the Photographic magazine (the June issue), there is a user report on the 10 D on page 20. All of the editors of this magazine give 5 stars rating to this camera on each of the following categories:

AF performance
Metering Performance
Feature set
Ease of use
Ergonomics
Value

For those who don’t believe in Phil’s (dpreviews.com) and Steve’s (steves-digicam.com) reports on the 10 D, you can read this report if you want to be warm and fuzzy or somebody to hold hands with, and for those who wants Canon to make a recall on the 10D, you can find down that Canon is now plan to boost their production on this camera 3 times the amount that they planned on the previous D60 cameras.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2003, 12:27 PM   #2

That's fantastic that the 10D is getting so many raves and that production will be increased. I hope Canon intends to increase their quality control so others don't have to quesiton the focusing issues many are having. Once I received my second body and got my Sigma 28-105 f 2.8 rechipped everything is wonderful and I love this camera. The week it took me to research it's problems was very frustrating and shouldn't have been an issue.
Usher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 9:17 PM   #3
pod

I got my 10D on Monday, no concerns whatsoever. Made some Frontier prints off of it, and they look fantastic
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 2:34 PM   #4

On the recent reviews article of the DIgital camera magazine (published in UK), the editor gave the 10D a score of 92 (very high rated, best buy) with this quote " I hope one day, all digital camera will made this way and cheaper". But on many photo forums, I still see two many complaints about AF problems from those folks who mostly came from the P/S camera, have absolutely no ideas of how to tell the camera to focus, then blame on the camera for the loudsy focus (back, front, rear [a*ss} focus)and charge Canon with the first degree murder conviction. Life is interesting, isn't it?
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 3:09 PM   #5

So what's the truth on this focus problem? Does it exist or is it simple user error?

Thanks,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 4:36 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
So what's the truth on this focus problem? Does it exist or is it simple user error?

Thanks,
Barthold
... It depends who you talk to and how old of a lens do you have:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/news/News.htm

Quote:
Recently Canon introduced a new model digital AF SLR camera, the EOS 10D. This new camera incorporates some significant upgrading in technology (electronics, software, etc.). In order to be fully compatible with this new camera, lenses must have compatible new electronics and software.

Some Sigma lenses made before December 2000 will require upgrading in order to function properly with the Elan 7 and EOS 10D camera. This modification is not necessary for Sigma HSM type lenses. There may be no outward indication that the lens is not performing properly with the Elan 7 and EOS 10D camera. Owners who believe their lens may require modification should contact Sigma's Service department for instructions on how to have their lens upgraded.

The lens should then be sent to Sigma’s Service Department, with a note describing that the lens will be used with the new camera. Sigma technicians will then perform the necessary upgrade.

This service will be provided as a courtesy and will not affect the lens’ performance with other Canon AF SLR cameras. In addition, a cleaning and a check of all lens functions will also be provided at no cost to the lens’ owner.

Sincerely,
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 6:05 PM   #7

NHL

When I saw the link, I knew exactly which post you were referring too. I was going to say "that isn't related to the focusing problem!" But then I saw this line:
Quote:
There may be no outward indication that the lens is not performing properly with the Elan 7 and EOS 10D camera.
I thought this article has more to do with how Sigma doesn't have the exact EOS mount communication codes correct (they haven't licenses it, or Canon won't license them out.) But from what I've read, if you have that problem you won't get anywhere with the lens. So I'm a little confused.

barthold

Canon has been quoted to have said "there is no problem." But others have quoted Canon Germany as having acknowledged it, in a vague way. Personally, I’ve seen pictures that show there is a problem for some people. Then some of those same people get their camera and lenses tested and calibrated by a Canon Tech, who said “yes, there is a problem with this body.” When the Tech is done with it, it works better. I believe those people. I don’t think it’s a big problem, but there is a problem. The odds of you hitting it are fairly small, but it is not 0. (It should also be noted that the problem is sometimes the lens and not the body at all.)

It should be said that I’m backing up my works… I’ve got a 10D on order (should have been in this week, damn it!)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 11:22 PM   #8

I think there are three types of focus problems.

The Real ones - the minority - these are people who really understand photography and have problems and need to get them fixed.

The Anal Retentive - These are the ones taking photos of rulers and blowing up images over and over and finding unfocused pixels. They never did this with their much beloved D60 or would have found similar issues. They have never blown up film to find if their SLRs had a similar issue. Phil talked about this in his review, and found it was really a non issue.

The P&S camera user - This person does not know how to use UnSharpen Mask. They confuse raw unsharpened images with poor focus. Also they may be confused about the different focus modes and are using them at the wrong time. They also may be taking images with the wrong shutter speed and are getting motion blur.

I have no doubt some cameras have problems. Every technical device has some bad ones produced. But I wonder if the problem here is spread by the board and people think they have problems because someone else does. I have to admit, I was worried about my camera, but I look at the images and I am fully comfortable with the images.

Ed
edshropshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 12:54 AM   #9

Eric, Edshroshire,

Thanks. Just got my camera and lenses today. I'm still learning how to get the correct focus. The 7 point AF manages to pick the wrong spots sometimes. I can see a closeup of a face and shoulders of a person at an angle towards me go from hair-sharp in the front to slightly blurry. I'm contributing that to a low F of 4.

Anyways, having fun with it! Love the continuous drive mode, already got me some nice shots of the dog jumping!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 3:04 PM   #10

barthold

I'm glad you're enjoying the camera. It does have a lot of options and abilities... but along with that comes the potential (like edshropshire says) of using them wrong. Since it doesn't cost you much to take a picture, get out and do it. Pay attention to your settings and learn what it can do. You will be rewarded with the ability to take that "now or never" picture when it occurs.

Watch out that you don't leave it in continuous drive mode when you don't want to. Personally, I'm only used to fully manual cameras, so while I'm learning what the 10D can do, I'm going to stick with center point focus. Then I *know* it isn't going to focus on something I don't want. The interesting question is that sad excuse for a spot meter (at least they don't call it "spot metering", it's "partial metering".) I'm used to a much smaller meter area. I don't know if I'm going to be able to use it, or I'll get annoyed and have to switch to evaluative metering.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote