Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:33 PM   #1

Dear All,

I have owned my 350d with kit lens for about a month and now I need to take some shots for the first holy communion of my daughter.

Basically Iwould like to take some shots in the church and then of course at home for a small family party we will make starting early evening. Basically the shots will be family and relatives with my daughter.

As I am new and using the 350d for such photography the first time, I would like to have some help on the best modes to use including ISO, shutterspeed, flash or no etc so that I try some shots between today and saturday before the big day of sunday.

Thanks to all.

amc072
amc072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:52 PM   #2

If it's indoors, you should probably shoot at ISO1600.Try to use the flash if possible.*I would shoot shutter priority, at about 1/125th a second, and hope I have enough light to get a good exposure.*You might need a wide angle lense for indoor situations.*I use a Tamron 17-35 for stuff like that.* It has a fast F2.8 lens and is very wide angle for indoor shots.-- Terry*
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:58 PM   #3

amc072,

There are really several parts to this:

1. The mass - You need to find out from the officiating priest if he'll allow flash photography. Many will not. Which means you're going to have issues. Second, discuss where he will allow you to photograph from. The kit lens doesn't have much zoom so unless he'll allow you up by the front of the church, you're not going to get very good shots.

If you can't use a flash, do you have another lens besides the kit lens? If not, here's the best you can do: set the camera to RAW, set the ISO to 1600 and put the camera in aperture priority mode. Then set the aperture to it's widest setting (which I believe will be 5.6 for the kit lens). See what your shutter speeds will be. If there's enough lighting you may squeek by with 1/30 or so - or who knows, you might get better shutter speeds. If you get 1/125 then reduce your ISO down to 800.

Even if you can use flash - unless you have an external flash, you'll need to be within 10' for the on-board flash to do you any good.

2. For posed shots, before or after the mass, you'll want to use flash. Try the following:

Camera in manual mode / ISO 400 / Aperture = 5.6 / shutter = 1/30 or 1/60 whatever you are comfortable hand-holding at. If things are still a little dull you might need to up the ISO to 800 to allow more ambient light in the shot.

3. At home. In general, ISO 400 shutter 1/60 and aperture of f8 or wider (lower f number) will work good for flash indoors - just remember you really want to be within about 10-15' for the on-board flash to do any real good. If you're going to do a lot of indoor shooting in the future I would highly recommend an external flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:07 AM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Hi and thanks to all
Quote:
John:
Quote:
So with regards to shooting at home do you mean that I should use as well the camera in manual mode to make all the settings of ISO, shutter speed and aperture? If so can you kindly tell me which are the controls to handle all these variables - since I only used the 350d for a month I have shot mostly in auto modes and all this is quite new. By having the help to set out these modes I would be in a position to do some practicing between today and tomorrow to set myself up for the big day.
Quote:
Thanks.
Quote:
amc072
amc072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:00 AM   #5

Well, I have the 20d - not the 350 so I can't confirm what the controls are. Aperture priority mode is the Av on the mode selection dial. Manual mode is M

Your manual should tell you which controls on the 350 adjust the aperture and shutter when you are in these two modes. Good idea about practicing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:37 PM   #6

thanks amc072 for raising this thread. recently I had been to my niece's first communion and I happened to take snaps of her in her first communion dress.. am not sure which model is that, but it did have kit lens. somehow I managed with a invitees assistance. hope this will help me in taking snaps properly.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:19 AM   #7

I did one early this year and The priest did not allow any shots during the service. What he did do was a photo call at the end which was great as we could use flash.
I would get an external flash a nissin di622 is reasonable and easy to use. How long before this event takes place. I would take some pictures with flash and see what they are like.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:02 PM   #8

Back when my son had his big day the priest suggested that we be part of the history rather than focusing on recording the history. We took photos after the event with the priest.

I'm not familiar with the 350d - is that somewhere in the neighborhood of the XTi? I'd cap the iso at 1600 and open the aperture wide to take available light photos.

If you choose an external flash, I'd recommend a cord to get the flash off the camera. I'd also recommend practicing a lot with it to get the exposure correct (TTL doesn't seem to get it done for me). Or take many shots at the event, adjusting based on what you see on the LCD.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote