Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 2, 2003, 11:36 AM   #1

Default EOS 10D black & white

First, I'm a newbie to digital photography. I have an ELAN 7e and absolutely love it. I'm also looking at purchasing the 10D.

I guess my question boils down to this: Does the 10D do black and white photos? I know I don't understand all of the lingo completely, but I haven't read anywhere that it does. In fact to the contrary, I've read one user comment that states it doesn't - granted that was from a user and not by the website that posted the review.

Help!
billf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2003, 1:07 PM   #2

The usual answer I've read to this question is that you can always convert the photo to B&W in photoshop. What I don't know is how good a job it does. Maybe if it was done in the camera it would do it in a different way?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 1:42 PM   #3

I worry about that - photo quality degradation. I know the Powershot G3 advertises the ability to shoot in B&W. It seems rather backwards to have a more advanced camera lose functionality.
billf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 5:12 PM   #4

It's not really loosing functionality. Black and white on consumer cameras is primarily just a desaturation process.

There are various software solutions to get much closer to a true black and white look than you get with the straight desaturation in consumer cameras. This is how you "should" do it with a dSLR.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote