Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:11 AM   #1

Hi All

I have finally found a good community forum for digital SLR's so it's great to become a member.

I have a quick questions regarding one difference between the 5D and 30D cameras. Iam moving into wedding photography and because of the difference between resolution I am concerned that if a customer purchases a large print for mounting on the wall you will see quite a drop in quality. Can anyone give me an indication to what is the largest print size I could get from a 8 megapixel 30D without starting to see a drop in quality?

This is a make of break question on either purchasing a 30D or 5D.

Many thanks

Steven
stevensalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:05 AM   #2
Super Moderator

A3 on the 20D is astonishingly good.

I'm about to print some A2 images so I'll let you know how that goes...

In your shoes however I'd probably go for the 5D, from what I've read it's the wedding photographer's tool of choice.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:14 AM   #3

I was in your shoes a little while back. I was upgrading from a Digital Rebel and was thinking of getting a 30D but they never released it so I went with the 5D. I have read about people making very large prints with a 20D so the 30D would probably do fine.

As for the 5D, I could not be more happy with it. I haven't printed anything larger than an 8X10 (I think that's A4?) but I am getting ready to order some larger prints.

I don't know if you are partial to Canon, but have you looked into the Nikon D200? I have seen great things about it and it falls in between teh 30D and 5D for price range.

I think that you would be happy with either of the 2, but I find the 5D to be a little better, but more expensive.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:15 AM   #4

Stephen...
I have been shooting weddings and portraits for about 5yrs now...Started with the
10D, then moved to the 20D...The largest portrait from the 20D for me has been
20x24....I use photoshop for all my sizing and fixes and when I size each portrait
I make sure I set the edit size to 300dpi for print...I can't show you here, but each portrait has been flawless...Even in the 20x24 size...I have had individual eyelash shadows on the cheek and nose that come out crystal clear...Remember though, good glass is a huge must...
I use the 24-70mm 2.8 and the 70-200mm 2.8L lenses...Your question though was about
the 30D and the 5D...The 30D has the same sensor as the 20D so I am assuming
the photos from that will be like the 20D....All this said, I have to agree with
Peripatetic, go for the 5D...This will be my next upgrade....
john :G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:54 PM   #5

Steven,

Read this article: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D/E5DA13.HTM

It pretty much sums up my opinion of the 5D.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:29 PM   #6

As John said the glass is the most important thing. If you can afford both the 5D and the "L" glass, or at least the sigma equivalents to the "L" glass I would jump all over the 5D, but if price is an issue, and buying the 5D meant not getting good lenses, I would go for the 30D or even a 20D since the price has dropped some on them and get the good glass. You can always up grade the body later. I did my first two weddings with a 300D digital rebel,and still printed very sharp 11x17 prints with a 6 MP camera.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:59 PM   #7

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
As John said the glass is the most important thing.* If you can afford both the 5D and the "L" glass, or at least the sigma equivalents to the "L" glass...
"Sigma equivalents to the 'L' glass"? I don't believe there is such an animal.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:06 PM   #8

sure there is, Sigmas "EX" series.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:01 AM   #9

If you had said nature photography, the answer would be 30D and use the leftover toward your 500mm F4LIS lens. The 5D FF 12MP sensor is advantageous for wide angle, normal and photojournalism. For wildlife, it can be at a disadvantage when you are shooting long, since the pixel density is much lower. A FF sensor comparable to the 30D would have 20MP. If you shot long lenses, the 30D would get a bigger "bird" in those situations were you are already using your longest lens a teleconverter and as close as you can get.That's why the Nikon D2x has become so popular with nature shooters. A FF sensor comparable to the D2X would need 30MP.

For weddings, though, if you can't afford a 1DsMkII, the 5D is your next best bet. It won't have the AF sensitivity or accuracy of the 1DsII, but the FF 12MP sensor will get you better enlargements than the 30D, and the viewfinder will be a little brighter than the 30D. Don't forget to get several 4MP cards and a portable drive like the Epson P2000, though, and a couple 300GB hard drives, as well as a dual layer DVD burner or at least three external 300GB drives (for backup rotation). Your 12MP, 16-bitimages with a few adjustment layers can easily exceed 150MB each. At least your 85mm F1.2 will behave like 85mm and not 135mm.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:22 AM   #10

Well all the advice I received through this thread was fantastic so a personal thankyou to everyone who responded. The final result and purchase landed me a 30D with a 10-22mm Canon Wide lens. I have also purchased a Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM for all round work. I also purchased a Speedlite 580EX and a bunch of SanDisk 2 gig flash cards. Just need to purchase another for backup and perhaps an additional lens of type Canon EF 70-200mm.

So I have done my first wedding as a newbie wedding photographer. Remember my background is a videographer for 5 years and this is the first time using a digital SLR. What better time to test this new equipment on a real wedding! Let me set the scene. A friends half brother who was getting married and they did not have a photographer. I offered my services for free which for me was no risk! It was a low key wedding on a high street and then back to a community centre. Also the wedding was at 17:00pm so quite a late one! I had a limited time to actually photograph people and the bride and groom did not want many of them...

Basically I am looking for some constructive comments on my first wedding. If you are interested in viewing some of the pictures taken please email me offlist and I will send you the link.

Many thanks

Steven
stevensalmon is offline   Reply With Quote