Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:30 PM   #1

I am thinking about buying a Canon EOS 30D. At Wolf Camera, they offer an Extended Service Plan for $228 for one year that covers everything except fire or theft. This camera is the same price at Best Buy, and a 4-year service plan is $150. I don't usually purchase extended warranties, but I've never owned a camera this nice before! I currently own a Canon EOS Rebel G, which I've had repaired once after we got caught in a sudden storm in Monument Valley (for sand in the camera). I owned it several years before that event without any mishaps. I've also owned a couple of other cameras without needing any repairs. But this is my first digital SLR, and I don't know that much about them yet, i.e., are they prone to problems, service and repairs, etc.? Do you think service plans/extended warranties are a good idea? I would appreciate any opinions you have!:-)
lms812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:12 PM   #2

If you're clumsy or not careful, it's a good idea. I bought a used 20D about a year ago that came with a transferrable Best Buy 4yr ext. warranty...neither the original owner or myselfused the warranty...I have since sold the 20D toits third owner. I don't think he'll need it either. It's nice to have for piece of mind, but if you're like me who takes good care of his toys, you won't need it.

I have since purchased a 30D w/ no extended warranty.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:26 PM   #3

That's a lot of money for one year.

Better to make sure you always handle your camera with the strap around your neck.

It might be worth your while to purchase general photogrpahic equipement insurance for all your equipment.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:16 AM   #4

I agree with Terry on the insurance. you can get $5000 worth of coverage for under $100 a year. which will also cover your camera if you drop it in a lake, a warranty doesn't do much good if you have no camera left to send in for warranty work.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:34 AM   #5

I think it depends on the coverage and the onwer. I found Circuit City to be very reasonable (in my opinion). I purchased 4 Years, also covering accidental dropping for $200. I usually don't purchase extended warranties but felt like this was reasonable.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:01 PM   #6

that is prettyreasonable, but the insurance covers all your equipment, not just the camera.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:07 PM   #7

of the 2 the Best Buy is the better deal.I got the 4 year service plan becaus e my Olympus 3040 had some damage and it cost me $200 to fix it.I would rather have piece of mind.I also think the insurance is a great Idea.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 8:24 PM   #8

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Terry on the insurance. you can get $5000 worth of coverage for under $100 a year. which will also cover your camera if you drop it in a lake, a warranty doesn't do much good if you have no camera left to send in for warranty work.
Better read the fine print - not all policies will cover lost equipment and dropped in a lake is, in essence, lost.

I dropped my glasses in bar Harbor last year, and my insurance said no coverage, (actually they were less than my deductable anyway).

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 8:51 PM   #9
Log

i would go with the bestbuy warranty... i got one (4yr warranty)a while ago with my old fuji and when a pixel went dead in it they let me trade the camera for anycamera on the display that was the same price as my camera was originally or if i wanted a more expensive model i just had to pay the diff. and the warranty still covered my new camera...

Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:04 PM   #10

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
Better read the fine print - not all policies will cover lost equipment and dropped in a lake is, in essence, lost.

I dropped my glasses in bar Harbor last year, and my insurance said no coverage, (actually they were less than my deductable anyway).

Ron
believe me I did read the fine print on my policy, and yes it is covered if lost, stolen, or dropped in the lake. I have recently upgraded my policy to a business policy or inland marine as it's called since I do some work for hire, and it is a bit more expensive, but includes liability insurance as well, and still covers all my equipment wheather lost, stolen or dropped in the lake, and also fungus in my lenses, and even insured against terrorist events per the terrorism risk insurance act of 2002, lets hope I don't need that. If you're talking about a point and shoot camera, no you don't need insurance, but if your taking about several pieces of equipment, insurance is the only way to go. Lets face it most everything these days has built in planned obsolscence, things are built to only last so long, and there is a pretty good bet that the 4 year extended warrenty they want to sell you will expire 30 days before what ever you bought will break. Especially in the camera industry, they are counting on the fact that you will upgrade your camera before anything has a chance to go wrong with it.