Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 2, 2003, 4:55 PM   #1

Default Lenses recommendations for 10d

I am getting ready to purchase a new 10d from my local camera store. I am replacing my E100 because I want a camera that takes better pictures in the gym. My daughter's basketball and volleyball team plays home games in a very poorly lit gym. I want to be able to take pics without a flash.

The local rep, Steve, recommended that I buy the Canon 70-200L USM f2.8. I was a little disappointed to learn that I needed a lens this heavy and bulky. Also, because of the size of this lens, I will probably need to buy an additional lens for portraits.

Are there other lens that will work as well, but not be as bulky and heavy?

Thanks in advance

Louis
louisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2003, 5:07 PM   #2

Probably not, at least not a fast lens like the 70-200L. If you need the zoom, you won't find a better lens.

Pick up a 50mm F1.8 for about $85 for portraits. It becomes the focal length equivalent of an 80mm on the 10D and makes a dandy portrait lens. It's cheap, light and has excellent optics. It's not built well - mostly plastic, but the optics are superior and the price is right.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 5:24 PM   #3

[quote="Lin Evans"]Probably not, at least not a fast lens like the 70-200L. If you need the zoom, you won't find a better lens.

Pick up a 50mm F1.8 for about $85 for portraits.

Thanks Lin
louisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 8:29 AM   #4

louisd,

I would second Lin's suggestion. Both that you probably do need an f2.8 (and the 70-200L is very good) and the 50mm 1.8 is cheap and good. If you really arenít sure, you could try renting the lens. Some places will apply a portion of the rental price to the purchase of the lens.

I'd also just like to say that you did the right thing by actually looking at the lens (and I assume the camera) before buying. Too many people look at the specs and then buy without actually holding it and seeing how it feels. You might not have realized that the weight/size was an issue without going and looking.

You could consider a monopod to help you handle the lens. They aren't as heavy or bulky as a tripod and offer a decent amount of support. Plus in the stands of a gym it will work where a tripod probably wouldn't.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote