Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:48 AM   #11

I am no expert but from what I understand canon uses Li-Ion batteries (not NIMH or NICD).

As such it is true they have a life span. But, constantaly draining the battery every time will most likely reduce battery life as oppossed to always "topping" off the battery.

For example, when it comes to laptop computers (and they use Li-Ion as well) the batter last longer if you try to always top it off and avoid draining it completly all the time. I could be wrong but you may be able to have the battery last longer if you charge it at the end of the day instead of waiting until it dies completely.

That's just my 2 cents.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:33 PM   #12

I'm no expert, and I'm not trying to start an argument, but my cell phone has a li-Ion batteryand the sales person told me to charge it every night and get a new one every year. He said that's all it would last if I charged it every day, but then I would always have a fully charged phone...:?:?:homey:

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:21 PM   #13

I can only say that I would much prefer replacing batteries (if/when it came to that) than not have enough juice in the field. The link I posted above allows one to get the BP-511 battery for $11-$12 each. My 20D uses two BP-511 batteries (I have the grip) and my G5 uses one. I have a total of 7 batteries and after a shooting session I replace the camera's battery/ies with fully charged ones and, of course, charge the ones replaced.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:47 PM   #14

This guy's pretty good on battery info: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-21.htm
Li/Ion batteries ideally should be topped off regularly, but you should definitely avoid draining them down completely.
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:00 PM   #15

Well, you learn something new every day... I will be recharging my batteries before full discharge.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote