Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:05 PM   #1

I'll be travelling to London next month and I was wondering how I should recharge the batteries of my 20D. Obviously, using the charger is a good first step, and in looking at the charger, I think voltage-wise, the charge works pretty much anywhere in US, Europe, and Japan. However, the plug is different in England as compared to the U.S.

Should I get some sort of adapter? Or should I go the entire route of a step-down transformer?

Thanks for any advice.

--Tom
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:22 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Just buy a travel adapter at the airport.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:21 AM   #3

I don't know how much travel adapters cost, but it might be cheaper to buy a second battery. You would then have enough "juice" to shoot 800-1000 photos. Also the second battery would be much more useful than the adapter back here.
Check battery prices on ebay.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:09 AM   #4

With my Digital Rebel and 5D I just use a 50 cent adapter that turns the plug from the US into a European 220 plug. Although I haven't been to England yet, I think they have the same outlets as does Germany and France. Perhaps peripathetic could verify that?

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:13 AM   #5

Yeah, get extra batteries that you can also use here. http://sterlingtek.com/twocabp18bap.html
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:50 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Yeah the adapters are very cheap.

Not that having a spare battery is a bad idea mind you, but I wouldn't be happy going off for a trip and not being able to recharge the battery.

We don't use the same sockets as the continent, but you can buy universal travel adapters which will allow you to plug your plugs into our sockets. It relies of course on having equipment which can accept the higher voltages, but I'm pretty sure your charger can. I think Canon use chargers which can operate worldwide.

Mine says 100-220V.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:23 PM   #7

Mine says the same thing (re multiple voltages)

And coincidentally, a co-worker bought the plug adapter today as a bit of a travelling present. So I think I have the answer.

I think more manufacturers are realizing that it's cheaper to make one charger work with everything than to come up with a different charger for each market.

Thanks again for everybody's advice. I'm not adverse to getting a 2nd battery, but the battery lasts so long that I can shoot for several days on a single charge.

--Tom
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:42 PM   #8

For me, getting a second battery was so that I can shoot until the first one runs out, and then switch. I believe that these batteries can only be charged so many times before you need to replace them, so I prefer to completely discharge one before recharging.
Ron
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:22 PM   #9

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
...I prefer to completely discharge one before recharging.
Ron
That's so true with NiCad (nickel-cadmium) batteries because of their 'memory' issue. But, NiMH (nickel metal hydride) don't have a 'memory' problem and so full discharges before recharging is not needed.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:15 AM   #10

jjonsalt wrote:

"That's so true with NiCad (nickel-cadmium) batteries because of their 'memory' issue. But, NiMH (nickel metal hydride) don't have a 'memory' problem and so full discharges before recharging is not needed."

My point was that you only get so many charges, (300-400?), so I want to use all the "juice" before I recharge. you are correct about battery memory.

Ron