Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 5, 2003, 2:57 PM   #1

Default after market BP-511 batteries

I posted this in the batteries forum as well:

Has anyone had any experience with any after market batteries instead of the Canon BP-511? Based on this web page:

http://www.batterybarn.com/dbp511.htm

What canon charges is too much for too little! And that price isn't that far out of line with B&H and calumet.

Anyone use any of these alternates? Cheaper and hold more power is something I always want in a replacement battery. Can anyone think of any reason why these would be any worse and not worth getting? (I've heard that some non-OEM batteries don't come with a contact cover, but I could fashion a cover out of cardboard, so that isn't a problem.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2003, 3:16 PM   #2

Eric,

I use the Digipower 511 batteries in addtion to the Canon BD-511 and it works great, it rated at 1100mah, same as Canon, same time to charge, they fit the slot nicely. There are two versions of these batteries, one with gold contacts, the other with silver, the gold one is better. BB has them and I paid for $20 each.

They also have the Enegizer brand, rated at 1200mah, last a bit longer than the 1100mah, but cost a lot more. Remember the higher the mah rating, the longer the batteries last.

I can only comment on those batteries that I already used.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 5:24 PM   #3

[email protected]

The point about the contacts is well taken. I know the benefits of making them from gold, but I didn't know anyone still did it (cost.) I'll remember that.

On that Battery Barn link I posted, list a 1200 [email protected]$39.95 (Lenmar) & a 1500 [email protected]$43.95 (VidPro Co.) I don't know either brands. But having 40% more capacity is very attractive.

It's interesting that they don't list the Digipower or Enegizer. By you're message, it looks like you've done business with them. I assume it went well? (resellerratings likes them.)
Old May 6, 2003, 10:39 AM   #4

Eric,

I didn't do business with Battery Barn, I bought the Digipower batteries from Best Buy. Higher Mah rating is a good thing but you have to make sure that the brands you buy must fit the battery slot. I heard some reports that some brands doesn't, that why I can only comment on the one that I already tested and used.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 1:09 PM   #5

Default Power2000 from B&H

I use the Power2000 batteries from B&H. They are 1500 mah and last a long time in my 10D. They are priced at $35 and I would recommend them.

Bo
HJTravles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 4:34 AM   #6

I bought two Japanese-noname-batteries with 1250 mAh, golden contacs for ~ Euro 20 each. They are better then the 4x priced Canon original battery.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:15 PM   #7

I purchased several no-name replacement batteries off of Ebay and they charged and funcion fine in my camera. They were Assia branded, for what it is worth, and hold 1500mah. I only paid 22.00 including shipping for two of them. Worked for me!
magnum27ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:23 PM   #8

I use power2000 batteries as well. I have a battery charger that will pretty accurately estimate the actual battery capacity. I should charge my BP-511s with it sometime and see if the claims for their mAH are true. Here's a link to the charger:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/view...?idProduct=185

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:23 PM   #9

i have the canon bp511 that came with my 10d, and the digipower 511. the digipower is much less expensive. inmy opinion both seem to work just the same, provided you can deal with the fact the digipower batteries arent nifty black like that canon's
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:04 AM   #10

My non-OEM battery seems to have trouble in the cold, where as the Canon seem to hold its charger longer. Other than that, I've found no difference.

I've also read that some have trouble after 6 months to a year. that their non-OEM batteries stop holding a charge. Not everyone said it, but enough did that it seemed real.

Eric