Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 6, 2003, 3:56 AM   #1

Default second hand Canon D30 or Nikon Coolpix 5700?

Can anyone help me with making a choice between the next:

a second hand Canon D30 or a Nikon Coolpix 5700?

which to buy?

Camera will be used for different purposes ranging from small prints 8 x 10 to poster-prints. I know the Nikon has 5 megapixels and the canon "only" 3.1, but looking at dp-review pictures of both I noticed that interpolating the Canon pictures give as much detail as the Nikon. So I don't know it anymore; the canon is a real-slr the nikon not, the nikon is new (longer warranty-period).
In price they don't differ al lot: Canon including a new 22-55 mm (35-88mm considering the focal-length multiplier) costs: 1400 euro, the nikon costs 1300 euro.

anyone how can help: thanks!
bskbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2003, 7:57 AM   #2

Also realize that the Nikon has a longer zoom range than that lens you are listing. Of course, you could buy another lens to (eventually) match the zoom of the 5700... but if you are going to consider cost, its only fare to compare something more equivalent. If I remember correctly the 5700 goes all the way to 11 (Oops, Spinal Tap referece) it goes to 280mm. That could add >300USD to the price difference.

You really should talk about how you are going to use the camera. Will the longer zoom be a benefit? Will you do many things, and therefor changing lenses is very beneficial? Will you take lots of pictures in low light? Therefor faster (lower f-stop) is needed? Cost matters, but buying something which suites your needs is just as (if not more) important.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 8:59 AM   #3
NHL

The D30 will win handown on speed of operation though if that's what you're after...

... but will lose out in size and weight! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 9:33 AM   #4

I know the Nikon has a larger zoomrange, but I will probably not use that often. Originally I wanted to buy a Olympus E 10 as i considered it's zoomrange (35-140 mm) quite enough for taking mainly portraits. But I soon noticed that the D30 and the CP5700 offer better image quality.
I also now Nikon has a better macro than Canon out of the box, special macro lenses for the canon can get quite expensive, but this is another feature i'm not really intending to use.
Old May 12, 2003, 4:55 AM   #5

Well too bad i didn't get more reply on my question, however, I decided to go for the D30, instead of a 22-50mm lens I was able to get hands on a 28-70 2,8 lens, which greatly contributes to the already pinsharp and noiseless images the camera produces with any lens. In one word: amazing! I never felt I could have so much control over a camera and it's results.
So thanx you guys for your comments, I'm one happy D30-owner!
Old May 12, 2003, 8:25 AM   #6

I'm glad to hear you are happy.

For many people, the extra cost of the lenses and the flexability in both lenses and complete manual control is actually a negitive. The flipside being if you want those things and what you get doesn' t have it... then you are stuck.

It looks like you got what fits your needs. I've heard very good things about that lens (If I wasn't getting the 100-400L, I'd probably have gotten it myself.) Now get taking some pictures and let us see what you can do!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote