Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 25, 2006, 2:28 PM   #1

Has any body any experience / results from using a TamronAF18-200MM F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II lens On the Cannon 30D I am thinking of purchasing one to use as a day walk round lens on my forth coming vacation? Or any other suggestions?
nimrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:51 PM   #2

nimrod1 wrote:
Quote:

Has any body any experience / results from using a TamronAF18-200MM F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II lens On the Cannon 30D I am thinking of purchasing one to use as a day walk round lens on my forth coming vacation? Or any other suggestions?
Every lens choice is a compromise. And in general, the compromise works this way: Image quality is inversely proportional to versatility and affordability. Or to put it another way: You can choose any two qualities for a lens, but not all three: High image quality, versatility (zoom range/weight), or affordability.

In the case of the Tamron 18-200, you are sacrificing image quality in order to get versatility and affordability.

If you'd like high image quality and versatility, then the Canon 24-105L is a great walkaround. But here you sacrifice affordability (well, that's relative I guess).

If you'd like high image quality and affordability, I would recommend the Tamron 28-75 or the Sigma 17-70, if you'd like something wider. These are both far superior to the Tamron 18-200 in terms of image qualilty, but cost about the same. But of course versatility is what you give up here.

Remember, you can't have all three. You have to pick the two that are most important to you (image quality, versatility, or affordabilty). But the beauty of an SLR camera is that you can achieve versatility by having a range of quality, affordable lenses that cover different focal lengths. You are limiting yourself and not realizing the full potential of your camera system if you decide to carry only one lens. That being said, I'm headed out for a 24 hour excursion this afternoon, and I'm only taking one lens, the Canon 17-85IS. I consider it to be the best all-around walkaround lens for my 30D. The IS is invaluable for low-light landscape shooting, which I love to do.

Hope this helps,

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote