Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:39 PM   #1

I am using a Canon XT/350 with a 17-40L lens and a 430EX flash. I take most of my pictures outdoors. However I have started pictures of indoor parties, clubs etc. The most vexing problem is that most of my pictures with flash are not very good.. either overexposed or underexposed.

I am using the P setting mostly.. I have also tried other settings with varying random results.

Some of my friends have said to only use P or Auto. Some have said to use Av setting with the aperture fixed at F8.

What are the preferred settings of more experienced photographers. I need some advise on the settings that will consistently give good pictures.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:55 PM   #2
NHL

Actually Av is probably the worst case to use flash since in all Auto mode (i.e. P or A) the camera will try to do a fill instead with flash so in case of Av, the shutter will be quite slow so if there's enough 'residual' light the images will appear quite blurry... because of camera shake

Tv or M (manual) is probably better - In M you can pick both the shutter and aperture and the flash will expose automatically for you. There's a caveat though in that the exposure is based on neutral grey so if your subject wear bright or dark clothes (or the background itself) which is not middle grey the camera tend to overexpose (or underexpose) based on the predominent subject(s)/background reflection

-> I tend to do FEL (Flash Exposure Lock) by using the * button behind the shutter release on the part of the subject than tend to be neutral grey (i.e. skin tone)
... Other use the flash exposure compensation instead - Whatever tickle you... :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:24 PM   #3

I prefer the following setup for indoor flash photography:

ISO 400

Camera in Manual mode with shutter of 1/60 to 1/250 to control how much ambient light is in the shot. 1/60 lets in the most ambient light and I usually prefer that approach.

Aperture value set according to the DOF you want. Typically something around 5.6 - 8.0 will yield good results.

Canon tends to err on the side of caution in their ETTL & ETTL II metering. So I have found I typically use around +1/3 FEC.

I also highly recommend bouncing the flash whenever possible - you'll get much more even light output. Using a stofen omnibounce also helps soften and distribute the light.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:34 AM   #4

When ceiling is too high or not a nuetral color how do you bounce the flash?

I have seen flash attachments which make the flash bounce but don't know if they are any good or where to find them???
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:15 AM   #5
NHL

harana wrote:
Quote:
When ceiling is too high or not a nuetral color how do you bounce the flash?
This is what you need: http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:12 AM   #6

NHL,

I've heard good things about the lumiquest system, but I don't see how that helps when there's a ceiling not conducive to bouncing. The lumiquest just allows you to divert some light to be direct fill while the main amount still has to bounce. You'll get the affect of the 20% that is being re-directed towards the subject but you'd still lose the 80% that was supposed to bounce. Or am I missing an aspect that will help in the situation where the ceiling is too high or too light-absorbant?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:23 AM   #7

I'm very happy with my lightsphere from Gary Fong. You can bounce it or not (via dome or not). Of course a very high light absorbing ceiling is still going to be a problem. http://store.garyfonginc.com/index.html

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:30 PM   #8

I do the same as JohnG recommended, camera in manual mode, ISO400, atleast f5.6, speed 1/60 or more and adjust flash comp if needed.

JohnG - One question though, does my selection of focus point matters in this case? I think it does, coz. flash is not in manual mode. Till now, I select the focus point which falls on my subject as using the focus/re-compose will put the focus point at different spot thatn your subject and flash output would change. Am I correct?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:55 PM   #9

Bobby,

Depends on the camera body. The ETTL metering system of the 300D and 10d was much more closely tied to focus point. The ETTL II system employed by the 350, 20d and 30d is different - it usese multi-zone evaluative metering. Yes there will still be some difference but it is not as dramatic as it was with ETTL.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:42 PM   #10
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
... You'll get the affect of the 20% that is being re-directed towards the subject but you'd still lose the 80% that was supposed to bounce. Or am I missing an aspect that will help in the situation where the ceiling is too high or too light-absorbant?
The lumiquest comes with 3 inserts (white, silver and gold)
o Without the insert - 20% is reflected and 80% goes through the cut-out to the ceiling
o With the insert (i.e. no more cut-out) 100% of the light is reflected back in the color of your choosing (white, silver and gold) depending on how harsh or warm you want + you can also mount a frosted diffuser on the front.

But the best thing about this whole thing is they fold flat into a wallet (which is included)