Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:29 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

A question has been bugging me for a few days, will an SLR camera work in space?Will a D-SLR work in space?

1st question really is how the mirror works on a SLR,i know its raised by a mechanism of some sort so it will go up,but does it go down on its own( ie using gravity) or is it pushed down by an arm of some sort?

2nd question is how will the D-SLR sensor handle the radiation out there?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Nick
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:03 PM   #2

Being that you can take pictures upside down and in portrait view, I'm assuming gravity doesn't factor in to taking pictures at ALL.

And about the radiation, theres a REALLY cheap solution to protect the sensor. A Filter!

the only problem would be with the temperatures. and thats all controllable , You could modify an underwater case with some sort of UV blocking material (and whatever radiation might harm the camera) And then even have it heated.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:51 PM   #3
NHL

gaida wrote:
Quote:
2nd question is how will the D-SLR sensor handle the radiation out there?
The problem is not the sensor! :idea:

-> Flash is the problem (i.e. firmware), and mostly the CF card - Radiations tend to erase theses devices which are not 'rad-hard', and why the microdrives are selected for use in space instead... (and the firmware are burned to ROM)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Yeah gravity doesn't effect much on a slr (unless you have way too much of it). now in terms of the radiation... i actually radiation tested the optics of a space mercury probe imaging system a few years back and basically unless you're in a really bad place like right next to the sun you're optics will be fine (radiation will darken the glass as it disrupts the crystal structure, we actully used to turn our glasses into sunglasses with a little time in the Co-60 chamber =])

memory chip would be the most "damagable" part in the camera, but if you got that much penetrating radiation i think you'd have some major health issues before your dslr started acting up...
rhowe7op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:33 AM   #5
NHL

rhowe7op wrote:
Quote:
... memory chip would be the most "damagable" part in the camera, but if you got that much penetrating radiation i think you'd have some major health issues before your dslr started acting up...
-> What about remotely or on "un-manned" spacecrafts?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Doesn't the camera use gravity to help distinguish a portrait-orientation shot? :shock:
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote