Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:12 PM   #1

Just bought a 30D about 3 weeks ago. I am looking at getting one of the Transcend 8GB cards and wondering if it would work in my camera without a problem.

Here is a link to the card I am looking at getting,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208050

Thanks for any help,
Mister E
Mister E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:59 PM   #2
Administrator

I did some digging and didn't find any Canon owners that have tried this card yet. Chances are, it will work (but, you may need to format it using a 32k cluster size using Windows).

Rob Galbraith has some CompactFlash cards speed tests available for some of the popular DSLR models. But, I didn't see this card tested in any of them. He did test an 8GB Sandisk card in the EOS-5D (but, that's the only test I see of an 8GB Card):

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-8198

I'll move this thread to our Canon DSLR Forum, where you're more likely to get responses from Canon DSLR owners.

But, as new as the 8GB CompactFlash cards are, you may need to take your chances if you decide to go that route (as I couldn't find anyone that's tried one yet in the EOS-30D, even looking at another forum).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:32 PM   #3

I would think that it would work

I am using a 4Gb CF card in my EOS 350D, and that gives 1,160 highest jpg or 471 RAW. Should be enough for most field trips.

These Canons are using FAT 32 file system, so it should not be a problem.

There is one thing however. The bigger the card, the longer it takes for the camera to start upas it searches the cardevery timeyou switch on the camera.

This could delay or miss a shot if you in a hurry to capture something.

pr126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:37 PM   #4

Is not a problem with the 30D, The 30D is on, when there's power. so it reads the card at inserting, not at power on.

(if you don't believe me, try this: replace the card when powered down, you wil see the light of the CF briefly flicker, when it reads the card)

pr126 schreef:
Quote:
There is one thing however. The bigger the card, the longer it takes for the camera to start upas it searches the cardevery timeyou switch on the camera.

This could delay or miss a shot if you in a hurry to capture something.

Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on ordering this sometime tomorrow. So hopfully by Friday I can let you all know my findings and how it performs. I also have a sandisk CF card reader, so I guess it will act as a external hard drive when I need it to.

Thanks again,
Mister E
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:10 AM   #6

At the store they I was told not to buy anything bigger than 2 Gb yet as 2x2Gb is cheaper than 1x4Gb and 8Gb is unreasonable expensive
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:05 PM   #7

Well a little update for everyone. The Transcend 8GB card does work. I have not had a chance to use it too much yet, but the camera does see it and shows as 7.7 GB formated. I did take a few pictures.

As far as price goes, I spent $130 for a 2 Gig card at Best Buy, so it wasn't much of a thing to talk the wife upto a 8 Gig for $40 more from Newegg. Just never showed her the price of the 2 gig card from the Egg. :twisted:

Thanks again,
Mister E
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:48 PM   #8

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here about any 8MB card. I actually prefer 1GB cards. The reason is because of a mistake that I made not to long ago when I pulled a card out of my camera when the camera was still powered up. Those images that were on the card downloaded just fine, but the next time I used the card I ended up with a corrupt image, one that I could not delete. I lost about 100 pictures on that 1GB card, but better than losing 400 on a 4GB or 800 on 8GB. I know there is software that can sometime recover those shots, but I'm pretty happy with my 5 1GB cards and my 20GB portable storage. Just my thoughts.

David

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:37 PM   #9
NHL

Caboose

Your agument can go both way...
With an 8G card you are 8 times less likely to pull it out while it is written correct ? :-) :lol::G

-> With an 8G card you're also less likely to miss any shot in the middle of a quick action (where you are also the most likely to pull a card out too fast), or misplace them in the process!
-> The 20GB portable storage is also a hardisk so you are also 8 times more likely to drop this device during the (1G) transfers, or the battery on the portable hardisk may not last that long...
BTW I still shoot with my 8G microdrives so if anyone think they are fragile - PM me :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:06 PM   #10

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Caboose

Your agument can go both way...
With an 8G card you are 8 times less likely to pull it out while it is written correct ? :-) :lol::G
You are absolutely correct NHL, but my stupid mistake just happened to occur when I was sitting at home in front of my computer, by myself, no destractions, no rush, justgetting ready to down load my pictures. In the rush of photographing a wedding or other event, I seem to be a lot more focused on what I'm doing. It just works for me, and maybe some others, but I'm surenot for everyone.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote