Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:58 PM   #1

Got a question. From what I read the new Alpha 100 is just as good as the Canon 30D, a bit slower in burst but has built in IS. Did anyone here had used the alpha 100? Afterabout 5years of using Minolta DiMage 7, which wasn't bad (nor cheap) when I got it, I got a Canon 30D a few days ago. However, yesterday i found out about alpha 100. The IS lenses for Canon are pretty expensive, so here is my dilemma, I can still return my Canon and wait the alpha arrives. Any input would be really appreciated. :?

P.S

and the other thing is that for the price of 30D body ($1699 CDN) i can get alpha 100 with 18-70mm and 75-300 lenses ($1499 CDN)
gostus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:37 PM   #2
Administrator

gostus79 wrote:
Quote:
Did anyone here had used the alpha 100?
It's not shipping yet. So, you're not going to find a lot of people that have used one (other than reviewers and journalists that were given the opportunity to use preproduction cameras). ;-)

The camera should be shipping before the end of this month (Sonystyle in the U.S. is reporting that it should start shipping on or before July 28 ).

I have seen reports that it may start shipping as soon as this week in Canada, though.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:50 PM   #3
Administrator

The EOS-30D is going to have a better viewfinder, faster burst rate, larger buffer, available optional Battery Grip, PC Sync Port and more compared to the Alpha 100. In addition, the Canon is likely to have lower noise levels at higher ISO speeds.

If you don't care about those things and value anti-shake more (combined with some features like the Dynamic Range Optmizer and a higher resolution sensor), then I'd wait and see what Steve thinks in the final review (and before you ask, I don't know how long it will take to finish after Sony gets him a production camera).

When it is finished, you'll find it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../alpha100.html

Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:23 PM   #4

yup they already have it at http://www.vistek.ca and should be mid july at henrys camera. the megapixels don't really matter all that much... i mean 5MP is good enough for regular prints, so i guess i won't see much of difference between 8 and 10mp. My main concern is how alpha will handle low light situations, I hope the built in IS will help it, but i might be wrong. I guess I'll use my 30D for another week and then return it back, and wait for alpha, once I get it I'll let you know if it is worth the swap (keep in mind I don't have any lenses besides Canon28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM).
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:29 AM   #5
Administrator

I wouldn't bet that they actually have it in the stores yet, even though it's on their web site.

The latest I heard is that Sony would start shipping them in Canada on July 6th (and it's probably going to be a bit later in the month for the U.S.).

The anti-shake is a good feature. Sony is claiming up to 3 1/2 stops of improvement for the system in the new Alpha.

I've found it to be a very nice feature to have (I'm currently shooting with a Maxxum 5D), since it works with any lens (bright primes, cheap zooms, macro lenses, etc.).

But, keep in mind that stabilization by itself won't do you a lot of good if your shutter speeds are not fast enough to stop motion blur from subject movement. You need a brighter lens and higher ISO speeds to do that in less than optimum lighting.

There are pros and cons to any system. I decided to go with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D for my needs, since I liketaking photos in dimly lit restaurants in the area with live music. Sincethe anti-shake also works with bright primes, it's great for that purpose. I use a 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7 and 100mm f/2 when out more often than not, and they're all stabilized, thanks to the built in anti-shake.

Unfortunately, the EOS-30D lacks the built in stabilization you get with a KM DSLR, and Canon doesn't make any stabilized bright primes in the focal lengths I typically use.

No one system is just right for all users. But, the combination of higher ISO speeds + anti-shake withbright primescan let you get hand held photos that you could not get with other cameras.

Personally, I'd rather Sony had kept a lower resolution sensor and worked on improving noise. Instead, they went to 10MP and limited the new Alpha to ISO 1600 (unless you want to deliberately underexpose to simulate a higher ISO speed). More buyers would probably want the higher megapixel count. Personally, I'd rather they reduced it to 3MP and gave us a clean ISO 19,200. ;-)

I've spent a good bit of time reviewing images from the Alpha. But, it's probably going to take me a while to form an opinion on whether it may be a good upgrade path for me. Right this minute, I'm leaning towards no upgrade. I really don't need the extra resolution of a 10MP sensor, and for my shooting, I'd prefer to have ISO 3200 available. I'll reserve judgement for a while though (as a downsized 10MP image may not show noise as much at typical viewing sizes).

I'll admit that the new Dynamic Range Optimizer looks interesting. It will be a tough call for me.

Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:28 AM   #6

gostus79 wrote:
Quote:
Got a question. From what I read the new Alpha 100 is just as good as the Canon 30D, a bit slower in burst but has built in IS.
Well - depending on where you read (photography magazines come to mind) - every new product that comes out is the greatest ever invented. But, as others pointed out the camera is not available yet.

Here's the thing though - there will ALWAYS be another camera just coming out. By the time this camera ships, Canon or Nikon or someone else will announce their latest camera. It strikes me as odd that you've had your new camera for a couple days and already looking past it to another model.

Why did you buy the 30d in the first place? How did you decide on that camera vs. say the KM models (which have antishake - that seems to be the attribute drawing you towards the Sony)?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:46 AM   #7
NHL

IMO the Alpha 100 is not a direct competion to the 30D...
If you need the speed or high ISO this is still the way to go and just be prepared to spend more on lenses (if you need IS) - That's all
-> The Alpha 100 is really targeting the Rebel - The market segment it is after :idea:

Just list out the list of features for theses cameras and see where each is ahead (or behind) in each column. The next Rebel release should be interesting IMO... :lol: :-) :G

-> This is also a price senstitive segment and I don't see many Rebel owners pay more in lenses than their camera - Does anyone???
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:30 AM   #8
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
This is also a price senstitive segment and I don't see many Rebel owners pay more in lenses than their camera - Does anyone???
Actually, I see a lot of new Nikon D50 owners going with Nikon's 18-200mm VR lens (or trying to find one to buy), and they're paying more to get that lens than they are for the D50. Nikon should send Ken Rockwell a commission check. :-)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

Nikon can't seem to make enough of those lenses. They're backordered almost everywhere on a first come, first served basis (and have been for months).

A single lens solution seems to be what a lot of users migrating from non-DSLR models are looking for, and the Sony would give them that for less money with a lens like an 18-200mm (with the body providing the stabilization).

Sony has an interesting strategy. The new Alpha seems to be a notch above the other entry level models in features and build quality (as was the Konica Minolta 5D IMO). Yet, it's a notch below some of the models like the EOS-30D (viewfinder, frame rate, buffer size, controls, PC Sync Port, etc.).

So, I think they'll attract buyers from both camps (those looking for an entry level solution and those looking for a little more advanced solution and/or more megapixels).

Like it or not, megapixels sells cameras. So, I think they'll do well with the Alpha, especially with Point and Shoot users looking to migrate to a DSLR solution, and the built in anti-shake is something P&S users will look for, since a lot of them already have this feature in their existing camera (or want it since they're getting too many blurry photos).

The average user isn't going to understand the relationship between lens brightness, ISO speed, lighting and shutter speed. They'll see anti-shake (or should I say "Super Steady Shot"), then compare prices, image quality and megapixel count.

Also, the new "dust buster" system will help to reduce fears a new DSLR user would have about cleaning their sensor, at a price point that's far less than a model like the new Panasonic DSC-L1 with the included stabilized 14-50mm Leica lens would cost them (that package will list for $1,900).

You could even add the new Carl Zeiss 16-80mm lens to the Sony Alpha (giving you a better focal range from wide to long compared to the Leica from an angle of view perspective), and still spend less for the Sony solution. The new Zeiss lens won't be shipping until October, though.

By positioning the Alpha where it's at, they'll also avoid the increasingly competitive entry level notch, where we're starting to see DSLR models sell for around $400 (you can pick up a Pentax DL for under $400 street price now after the new $100 mail in rebate). Here's one example:

Pentax *ist DL for $312 after mail in rebate at buydig.com

We'll just have to wait to see how well the Alpha is received, and what else Sony has "up it's sleeves" for other market segments. But, I think they're probably off to a good start with how they're positioning their first entry into the DSLR market, and I suspect they're going to invest a lot into marketing it to make sure they gain some market share quickly.

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Administrator

Bear in mind that you are comparing a 5th or 6th generation SLR from the world's largest cameramanufacturer versus the first interchangable lens SLR camera ever made by a company best known for making video games and TVs. This is not to say that the Alpha 100 won't be a good camera but Canon has a LOT more experience at it than Sony. At least wait until there are some pro reviews andproduction camera sample photos to help you make your purchase decision.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:03 PM   #10

I was reading a lot about the alpha 100 and talking to some of my friends who are uhmm... well they all use canons anywhere fromrebels tothe fancy5D. So i guess I'm here to stay as a Canon owner. I hate to wait for the sony just to be disapointed once i get it, i was using the canon now for a week and i'm happy with the results even with the cheap lens that ive got EF28-105 f/3.5-4.5. Soon Ill be looking to get 50mm f1.4 or f2, that will give me more options, and I'll just have to wait till i can afford 70-300 IS series... good that x-mas is only a few months away... and then there is the flash.... looks like i'll be spending lots of $$$ on that hobby... thanks to all of you guys for the input, that was what i needed to be off the fence

A PROUD 30D OWNER