Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1

I have decided to get the canon350D

My question concerns colour spaces, below I have typed two paragraphs that I feel contradict each other,

"Today sRGB is as close as you'll come to a truly universal colour space of a typical computer monitor. Its use is widespread. It's the default colour space of Windows xp, Web browsers, numerous image browsers, image editors and other software on the virtually all current digital cameras."

"Adobe RGB colour space is designed to encompass the colours that can be printed using CMYK inks. It includes a broader range of colours than SRGB within it's boundries . If your camera offers it Adobe RGB is an excellent colour space choice if your pictures are destined for the printed page and the web"

In conclusion the article states that if you have the choice between sRGB & AdobeRGB pick Adobe RGB having read the article several times now I am inclined to agree, because it states how Adobe RGB will print better, but from a continuity point of view I am not sure why they have said Adobe RGB.

It emphasises of course the need to view colours in the space they were taken. If I have read this correctly, the article is stating take image in AbobeRGB, but view in sRGB, which I do not understand?

Printers of course will never completly match the tonality on sceen, which I am use to.
DAVID LYDIATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:41 PM   #2

Any discussion on color spaces can get complicated quickly. In most cases (IMHO) it depends on how high your personal standards are in achieving a good looking print. But even this is subjective, if your goal is to have "what you see in the view finder" look as "true" as possile on the screen, editing, to final output, that can be tough.

Here's a few links that talk about Adobe RGB and sRGB

http://www.e-cobo.com/design_tips/ph...gb_vs_srgb.php

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...obeRGB1998.htm

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...gb-debate.html

Color space is just the tip of the ice, there's so much more at play. To really
get your head around this stuff, I highly suggest you pick up "Real World Color Management" one of the best books on the subject of color management.

If it helps I'll breifly describe my workflow I beleive I have pretty high standards for
color management as I sell my prints.

1. I shoot RAW, this allows me to use any color space I choose in the editing process.

2. Photoshop CS2 I use sRGB colorspace since my lab's ICC profile for soft proofing
requires it.

3. I use Gretagmacbeths Eye-One photo for monitor calibration, for the times that I
print my own work, I profile my paper with the Eye-One also.

4. As mentioned, I soft-proof my work to insure that what I see on my calibrated
display is what the cutomer will receive in print.

Hope this helps,
Joe

jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:32 PM   #3

One addition.

If you pick adobeRGB as the color space in your camera, then you will have to convert every single jpeg (assuming you shoot in jpeg) to sRGB using Photoshop or something similar. If you don't, the images will not look good on screen, or on the web. Reason being a typical monitor resembles the sRGB color space.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:49 PM   #4

Thank you both & if you get the chance to look my site is in my profile & I hope you like it
DAVID LYDIATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:48 AM   #5

If you shoot RAW, color space in the camera doesn't matter.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:44 AM   #6

Also keep in mind that where you have your photos printed may make a difference. Many places only use SRGB and don't allow or use imbedded color spaces. They may convert your image to SRGB giving you a different result than what you expected.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:36 PM   #7

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Also keep in mind that where you have your photos printed may make a difference. Many places only use SRGB and don't allow or use imbedded color spaces. They may convert your image to SRGB giving you a different result than what you expected.
Absolutely, that's why it's important for me to have the ICC profile from the lab so that I can soft proof.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote