Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:59 AM   #1

Who has a CANON 20D? if so what was the name of the store where u bought it and how much did u pay for the camera /kit (do not includeextras...just the camera). im in the market for a 20d and looking for a good price, any info would be appreciated...........ALSO, should i get the kit, or just get the body only and get a better lense??
italianwjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2

If the kit lens has a focal length that is what you want, and your standards are reasonable, then get the kit lens. For the money, its a good deal. If you have very high standards, then its probably worth saving the $100 or so the kit lens adds to the price and get a better lens.

The logic is that a lens which isn't good enough is a waste of money.

As for where to buy it, I got mine years ago so I don't know what is a good current price. Try www.bhphoto.com. They won't have the ultimate best price, but it will be very good and they stand by their products post-sale. Some of the cheaper places just take your money and blow you off when there is a follow up issue.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:52 PM   #3

thanks for your help eric, i appreciate your time
italianwjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:21 AM   #4

I purchased my 20D (w/17-85 lens) in March for $1195.00 from 17th Street Photo www.17photo.com They're a Canon-USA authorized dealer and have one of the HIGHEST customer satisfaction ratings I've ever seen at resellerratings.com...better than B&H. THESEare theguys you want to buy your camera gear from!! Shipped my whole 20D package (body, 3 lenses, bag and tripod) to me UPS overnight (NY to Dallas) for $40.00...and they were cheaper than B&H by over $100 on the package. I dont know if they currently havethe 20Din stock, but if you purchase anything ask for Mark.

As far as lenses...I'd skip the 17-85 kit and go for the 20D body + the EF-S 17-40 f/4L. You'll sacrificethe image stabilization feature of the 17-85, but (for $150 more) you'll geta top-of-the-line"L series" lens (better optics and weather-resistant construction) and, from what I've read and heard from practically everyone, BETTER IMAGES!!.However, if you plan on doing afair amountof low-light shooting, the "IS" featuregives you a sharpness benefitequivalent toa three-stop fastershutter speed.

If you want the best of both worlds (andhave deep pockets), MY choice for a upgrade lens would be the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. Its twice the price of the 17-85, but it offers image quality on a par withthe L-series lensesANDoffers "IS". Its larger 2.8 maximum aperture allows precise focusing, andcombined with the image stabilizationthis is anoutstanding lensfor low light shooting.

BTW, once you get your 20D you MUST addthe Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens to your arsenal...trust me, you wont regret it. It's under $70 ($69.89 @ 17th Street Photo), it's small, it's lightweight, it's sharp and it's 2-3 stops faster than any of the zooms. Everyone needs at least ONE prime lens...this is a fast, super-affordablelens ideal for portrait work!!I got one...and it takes GREAT pics!!

Point-N-Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:15 PM   #5

Interesting. But I thought I would take a look for myself.

17th St Photo has a rating of:

Six-Month Rating: 9.91
Six-Month Reviews: 15
Lifetime Reviews: 160

While B&H has a rating of:

Six-Month Rating: 9.55
Six-Month Reviews: 620
Lifetime Reviews: 2281

Hmmm. Only 15 reviews in 6 months vs 620 for B&H, and
only 160 lifetime reviews vs 2281 for B&H.

Not so sure I would rate them higher than B&H based on those numbers.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:16 AM   #6

I've dealt with both 17th Street and B&H...never had an issue with either. Of course I live in the States so delivery has never been a problem. Best to check individual reviews regarding shipping overseas (Hi,amazingthailand) to see how each handled that.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:45 PM   #7

I agree 100% with Point-n-Shoot on going for the 17-55mm & 50mm prime.
I wished Canon introduced the 17-55mm before I nought my 20D with 17-85mm kit.

QV
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote