Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:11 PM   #11

I'm a bit new to the SLR world (just got my Rebel XT 2 days ago). All photos are un-edited with kit lens.

fireserphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:24 PM   #12

Looking at pictures to decide is just plain stupid, imho

The problem is that The Factor LENS has to much weight in the equation, and not to forget post processing. Both bodies are quite evenly matched, but have their own strengths and weaknesses.

probably, the best shots will be taken with $5000 prime lenses, by somebody who photographs for a long time, and is an ace in photoshop.

Best what you can do, look at the specs/reviews for both camera's, look at what camera has the best featureset for the photography you (expect/want) to do, and go to the store, try them both out, and pick the one you like best.

Just my $0.02
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:32 PM   #13

Marc H wrote:
Quote:
Looking at pictures to decide is just plain stupid, imho

The problem is that The Factor LENS has to much weight in the equation, and not to forget post processing. Both bodies are quite evenly matched, but have their own strengths and weaknesses.

probably, the best shots will be taken with $5000 prime lenses, by somebody who photographs for a long time, and is an ace in photoshop.

Best what you can do, look at the specs/reviews for both camera's, look at what camera has the best featureset for the photography you (expect/want) to do, and go to the store, try them both out, and pick the one you like best.

Just my $0.02

I think we are all just excited about showing off photos that we've taken that we think look cool. =)
fireserphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:50 AM   #14

Yeah fireserphant, keep your excitement high and your sharing of pictures and information coming.

Can't really see how the verbage "Looking at pictures to decide is just plain stupid, imho" is productive in any way. Amazes me how much good info and cooperation exists on this site. Then, there are these types of "humble opinions."

I, for one, don't take it personal. I'm actually glad there was good information that followed that single statement. Otherwise, I'd have to once again ask "why even put in the effort." What I did find frustrating is that, YET AGAIN, the statement "Both bodies are quite evenly matched, but have their own strengths and weaknesses" is offered without any elaboration. This, amongst many posts, was clearly asking for some differentiating factor between cameras and/or manufacturers. While asking for pictures (before I realized how many pbase-types of sites existed), it was clearly pitting two cameras against each other and a perception that each had some strengths.

I have since made a decision and a purchase. So, to many members' delight, I won't be posting those types of questions unless I'm baffled with my camera.

I WILL offer this less-than-humble opinion: The kit lens offered with Canon models versus Nikon is SHAMEFUL and makes a Nikon a significantly more economical purchase. 30d purchase with an acceptable lens will clearly exceed cost of d200. That is one thing I'll offer with conviction. Any argument there?!?
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:12 AM   #15
NHL

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
... 30d purchase with an acceptable lens will clearly exceed cost of d200. That is one thing I'll offer with conviction. Any argument there?!?
This may be true only if one sticks with the Canon brand...

However there are plenty of options among the 3rd party lenses which can equal or exceed Canon (or Nikon's) in optical quality at a lower cost - so one is only looking at the price differential of the body alone since 3rd party glass tend to be equal in cost for either Nikon or Canon body!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:51 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
I WILL offer this less-than-humble opinion: The kit lens offered with Canon models versus Nikon is SHAMEFUL and makes a Nikon a significantly more economical purchase. 30d purchase with an acceptable lens will clearly exceed cost of d200. That is one thing I'll offer with conviction. Any argument there?!?

Rather oversimplified I'm afraid. NHL is of course correct about the use of 3rd party lenses, but even within their own lenses I think it's not so simple.

Certainly in the UK Canon is cheaper.

Scenario#1 (top-grade lenses)

Canon 30D body + Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM = £1500

Nikon D200 + 17-55 f2.8 (no IS, better build quality) = £2000

Canon cheaper if you regard these as acceptable lenses.

Scenario #2 (mid-range lenses)

Canon 30D + 17-85 IS USM = £1079

Nikon D200 + 17-80 (non IS, non USM) = £1279

Canoncheaper if you regard these as acceptable lenses.

Scenario #3 (entry level lenses)

Canon 30D + 18-55 = £820

Nikon D200 + 18-55 = £1270

Canon cheaper if you regard these as acceptable lenses.

I think if you look at photozone you will find that the lenses in each scenario are very comparable for image quality. Though with #2 the Canon lens has IS and USM so you might argue is a better lens overall - hence making theprice difference even bigger than it looks at first.

I'd be willing to put a small bet down to assert that most people would have a very hard time telling the difference between prints from Nikon or Canoncamera + lens combo ineach of the 3 scenarios.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:40 AM   #17

Great pics! what lens did u use? Any TC's attached?

Regards

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
All shots on my gallery http://bobbyz.smugmug.comare with the canon 10D/30D. 350D will give you similar results.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:54 PM   #18

Great info. Thanks. Went out last night (dusk) and took just simple pictures of bricks. leaves, etc. Was NOT overwhelmed. THAT is when I posted the opinion about kit lens.

Out and about today, decided I'd give my first run at some action shots at a local skate park. Much happier with those results. Got some decent shots. Learning TONS (as recommended). Have already seen some compositional issues (Hey, I'll probably try turning the camera on it's side next time for biker in mid air!) and lighting issues (caught up in the moment, took a few with sun in my face.) Easy enough at this stage to self-critique.

ADDICTED! Had a blast! I'm hooked!!! Can't wait to expand lens collection. My one thought was that the kit lens captured MUCH better clarity on the closest up shots, basically, when I stood at the ramp. Bike spikes were frozen, shoestrings captured, etc. Distance shots were less than stellar and I guess that's the lesson about better lenses, more speed, more light, etc....

I'M FRICKIN' HOOKED!!!!

Now, I still say Nikon provides better lenses in their kits making purchase a better value. That is what I meant. But, I bought Canon for a reason (I think...) Followed advice of just committing to one and learning in the field. Can't wait to see what better lenses and glass will offer down the road. Have a lot to work on until then and I guess the kit lens will suffice. Or not...
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote