Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:37 AM   #1

Running out of time to take advantage of $100 rebate for Rebel. Have been casually researching cameras for a few months and now have to pull trigger. Was completely sold on Canon and Rebel and then saw some Nikon d50 shots. Truly felt the color and clarity were unbelievable. Most Rebel shots I see seem just a bit washed out by comparison.

Can anyone help me make this last part of my decision. I've gone down every road of technical specs, held cameras, thought of long term use and lenses. Now, I just want to see more Rebel shots and rule it back in or rule it out. Fair? PLease help.
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:48 AM   #2

Which Nikon D50 shots you talking about?

Both are very nice cameras. A lot depends on photographer.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:35 PM   #3

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Both are very nice cameras. A lot depends on photographer.
And the lens and the post processing done.

So, not diminishing the D50 at all - as Bobbyz wrote, both are great but be careful of setting your expectations too high.

You can search pbase based upon camera - you'll get more XT images than you care to!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:48 PM   #4

You can browse some of my better sunset and fireworks pictures here:

Sunsets: http://www.justinhancock.us/photogra...yisonfire.html
Fireworks: http://www.justinhancock.us/photogra...rks/chaos.html

All of those sunset pictures have zero post-processing; shot in JPEG then simply resized/cropped for the website.

A few of the fireworks pictures were shot in RAW then post-processed...I'm really proud of this fireworks shot which was shot in RAW then post-processed.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I did visit pbase. Pretty amazing site and never cease to be amazed at how like-minded individuals form communities on the web sharing information, etc. It amazes me. This site included. Thanks to all.

I guess to answer one question, I really don't know what lenses people shot with. Assume that has to be factored into the equation.

The initial pictures I was talking about are some safari pic's here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=58&page=1
These are not necessarily the amazing COLOR pictures but the pic of the male lion and all that contrast in his fur IS amazing (to me)!!!!

Having taken my own memory cards into a local store and shot tons of pics with both the rebel and the d50 and also visisting pbase, I do now lean more to the colors of the Nikon. Guess it is very subjective. They just seem to pop more to me than the rebel pics I took. Same with MOST, not all, but most I saw on pbase.

While I haven't yet pulled the trigger, I was so sold on Canon, and really unable to explain why. Now, I actually feel like I'll desert it and the folks who helped me in the canon forums to date.

Like all say, you certainly can't go wrong with either. Just have to pic one and start shooting. When I started my research, the 20d was MY gold standard to build into (start with rebel, get lenses and later upgrade.) Nikon didn't seem to have a comparable model. NOw, with the d200 out... That may be my dream camera as I learn the skills and build lens collection.

Still totally open to feedback. Didn't intend this to flame any Canon users. (Can't imagine any would take offense.) JUst finally nearing the finish line in my purchasing desicion and appreciate all help. GREAT SITE!!!! GREAT PEOPLE!!!

Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:29 AM   #6

All shots on my gallery http://bobbyz.smugmug.comare with the canon 10D/30D. 350D will give you similar results.

Here are some.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7

detail is phenomenol!!!! i can't wait to get on board with dslr.

i.d love to see others photos with skin tones, bright colors, multiple lighting settings. Not trying to put others to work. Just enjoy seeing what you guys do with your cameras and the work that you'd like to showoff.

OF COURSE, some will beg for no photos to be sent so that [email protected]$$$ will just make up his mind and buy something, anything.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:39 AM   #8

Let me jump into the frey

http://www.pr126.com/

pr126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:30 PM   #9

I just got the Rebel about 5 days ago, some shots I have taken with the kit lens:

elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:19 PM   #10

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
Running out of time to take advantage of $100 rebate for Rebel. Have been casually researching cameras for a few months and now have to pull trigger. Was completely sold on Canon and Rebel and then saw some Nikon d50 shots. Truly felt the color and clarity were unbelievable. Most Rebel shots I see seem just a bit washed out by comparison.

Can anyone help me make this last part of my decision. I've gone down every road of technical specs, held cameras, thought of long term use and lenses. Now, I just want to see more Rebel shots and rule it back in or rule it out. Fair? PLease help.
My Opinion

Both of these cameras will give you excelent photos as long as you are capable of taking them and learning to use the camera.
You need to be buying the one you like the feel of and feels right in your hands.
You can look at thousands of photos that other people have taken and it means nothing. The good ones will have been taken by people who can take good photos and the bad ones will have been taken by people who can't. The make of the camera they used means nothing.
I doubt that any of the modern DSLRS take bad photos only people.

Regards,
Sel ...........
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html

SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote