Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:06 PM   #1

Okay, not a very scientific experiment. But desperately trying to decide between Rebel XT/350 and d50 before Canon rebate expires, I've been researching, reading, scanning pbase and even performed mulitple side-by-side comparisons between cameras in local stores. Even though I've posted many, this is not a "what should I buy" post. I'm putting in the effort. I was sold on Rebel. Then took pics. Was sold on outdoor pics of Nikon. Then, began looking more and more closely at indoor. It's darn 50/50. I'd like to have one for outdoors, one for indoors.

Yes, now for the questions and challenges: store rep and I did everything we could to make it an apples to apples comparison. Defaulted cameras, same ISO, took pictures from same distances, same angles as best we could. CERTAINLY there could be more scientific experiments, but I/we shot pictures as I would own camera.

The Nikon d50 CLEARLY had better color outside. Everyone I've shown agrees on 9 out of 10 pictures. The pictures varied from buildings, to flowers, to bushes, car colors and features, etc, etc. Good range of colors throughout shadows, distances, etc.

Now, going back indoors, the Canon blew away the d50. Difference was much more drastic than that of the outdoors shots. I've seen both sides debate which is better as you move up in ISO. This is where my own understanding begins to breakdown. Store rep moved both cameras to 400 ISO. Also, Nikon flash, which seemed much strong completely washed out skin tones.

Can anyone give feedback. Last point, lenses were the kit lenses. Granted, Nikon is supposed to provide better glass in kit lens. Could that make much difference?

I'd love to post some of those sample pics if someone could teach me how to get under the file size requirement.
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:00 PM   #2
NHL

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone give feedback. Last point, lenses were the kit lenses. Granted, Nikon is supposed to provide better glass in kit lens. Could that make much difference?
It does appear that the Nikon kit lens is better than the Canon

Regarding the cameras default setting - Theses camera just happen to have two different default that seems to suit your test better in one case or the other. The issue here is the person behind the camera who takes the picture and that person has the influence on how a picture will turn out indoor or outside!

Knowing how to control the lighting can have much more impact on a camera or lens for example :idea:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:11 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I don't mean to be rude, but the comparisons you have been doing are essentially futile.

Forget about:

1. The colour - with a bit of effort and after reading the manual you could completely reverse the appearance of the two cameras.

2. "sharpness" - there will be very little in it between the two cameras and kit lenses, your ability as a photographer and how you post-process your pictures will be 99% of the end result when comparing those two cameras.

3. Unless you're planning on frequently printing bigger than 8x12 you can pretty much forget about resolution, both are adequate.

4. Forget about the high-ISO performance. The D50 is Nikon's best camera in that department, and all the Canons are excellent.

In all the above criteria the cameras are essentially tied.

So what's left? Well the ergonomics mainly and the fact that you will essentially be buying into a "system" that you're likely to stick with for a long time. Which camera felt better to you, was easier to use, looked cooler, etc.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:58 AM   #4
NHL

Actually if a "brand" is not your Mojo - I would suggest you to try the Minolta 5D/7D or the upcoming Sony A100 dSLR which is an update to the 5D, theses cameras have built-in IS (or VR) so you'll have a much wider selection in lenses (and affordable too) going forward with build in antishake all of them actuall!

Sony BTW always tends to 'tweak-in' higher saturation and sharpness by default in their cameras - just check their TV for examples (not neccessarily correct but to please the consumers)... :lol: :-) :G
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:38 AM   #5

Peripatetic,
Believe me, I don't see your reply as rude. It's a great answer. I'm just not at the point where I, ME, NEW PHOTOGRAPHER, know how to make those changes yet that will affect the overall outcome. I guess I'm just the stereo shopper who doesn't want to be suckered in by "watts per channel," or a camcorder shopper who falls for the useless 800x "digital zoom." Add your own example.

I was just trying my own comparisons which I guess would be like a 16-year old brand new driver (new photographer) taking a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Civic out onto the highway (d50 and Rebel) and seeing which would go faster and get to that speed quicker (better pictures to my eyes). Not very scientific, but the only way they (I) know how.

Last corny example. The car I currently drive, loved the looks, loved the performance. Similar to some of my "brand" types of questions on these two camera manufacturers... As a sales rep spending much of my time in the car and doing some entertaining, I just liked the car. Within months, I realize the car is not DESIGNED for someone to sit in it all day. It's a sporty sedan, built for speed, etc. My wife's car, very similar at first glance, is MUCH more conducive to my needs with less engineering but more focus on comfort and accessible stuff when inside the car. Bad example?!? Well, I didn't know until I drove the car for several months and it's not the easiest investment to just take back in and trade out. For me, this camera, even if only $699 is an EXTREME luxury purchase, one the wife doesn't agree 100% with.

And, I'm not the easiest at just buying on faith. But, what I hear is, both cameras are great. When you learn to use them, learn to use them, learn, learn, you'll be able to control what you want. One has one or two shortcomings, the other has other shortcomings but both are solid buys. LEarn to use one, either one and you'll be happy... Gulp!

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:23 AM   #6

I was thinking about the d50, d70s and rebel a few months ago. To me the bottom line was That I went with the rebel despite the d50 and d70s feeling better in my hands. The "kit" lens didn't matter much to me as I was going to get a third party f2.8 zoom anyway.

To me the image quality won in favor of anything else. I am not entirely convinced the d50 does better at high ISO since I shoot in raw and most reviews on line only give signal to noise stats on the jpeg images. Never the less High ISO is going to depend on how well you nail the exposure. If you underexpose any camera is going to look ugly at ISO 1600.

I print larger than 8x12 so The extra MPs do help me. You gain the ability to crop a little more too.

But that was what I did after spending months debating which to get. Your decision may be different.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:43 PM   #7
NHL

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
For me, this camera, even if only $699 is an EXTREME luxury purchase, one the wife doesn't agree 100% with.
As everyone can tell you: the camera is only an initial down payment... :idea:
-> The lenses that come afterward can surpass the camera's cost many times over!!! :lol: :-) :G

This is when the Pentax, Sony/Minolta dSLR come into the picture especially when you need to look for longer lenses especially when you learn more about IS or VR... (even with the kit lens BTW)
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:46 AM   #8

I have been following this thread closley,I have a D50 with a few lenses, sigma 10-20, Tamron 18-200, the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 and 18-55 kit lens.I need a backup camera whil I am out in the field, I`d love a D200 but its just out of my price range,so the D70s with battery grip seems to be the choice,BUT for a little bit more hard earned I can buy an EOS 350D with 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses and a battery grip, all within my price range.I love my D50 and it has paid for itself , but I cannot decide what to do
comments appreciated

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:58 AM   #9

TD,

You could find it hard to switch between the two systems. I ended up selling my Canon 10d, not only to get cash for other upgrades, but because it wasn't compatible with the 20d's and 5d's physical layout and RAW file naming conventions. The RAW file naming convention difference also interfered with my post processingworkflow. If you are a professional , you'll need to be able to pick up your camera and shoot without too much thinking to ge the best shots. If you are only taking photos of still objects this shouldn't be a problem. If the back up is only there for emergencies it should notbe a problem. You'll also have to buy separate lenses forboth cameras. I'd save for the D200.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:39 AM   #10

Thanks Bill , thats what I pretty much wanted to hear,my raw workflow is nailed to a fine art, why spoil it .I`llopt for a D70s I need a backup in case one fails on location, the way things are goin for me the D200 will come later this year for sure.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote