Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:42 AM   #1

Default IBM 1gb Microdrive

My ibm 1gb micro goes WWRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........WWRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr then stops.Then it says ..ERR CF in the lcd on my Canon D60.

What do I do?

by the way, I've had this camera for about 5 days and I love it. But the microdrive only lasted for that time too, could it be american vs Japenese technology?
billsmxphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2002, 6:16 AM   #2
NHL

Can a card reader access the device? How about a laptop with the inluded PC card (PCMCIA) adapter... The microdrive should come pre-formatted to Fat-16 from the factory !
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 2:51 PM   #3
Administrator

Microdrives are nice but they are little mechanical hard drives and as such are prone to failure. With the current cost of flash memory where it is I would always recommend flash memory to Microdrives.

A quick scan of eBay and there are a lot of the Ridata 256MB and 512MB CF cards for bid over there. I have two of them, they're rated at 20x and very fast and reliable.

Go here:

http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings...868/index.html

and put "Ridata" in the search box.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 3:26 PM   #4
NHL

FYI

A Md will/can survive dropping to the floor and 1gig microdrive versus lexar pro 24x.

IE if you are not relying on it for a living and try to save money, it's worth it for the convenience ...
Old Jul 13, 2002, 9:57 PM   #5

Default Sounds similar

Sounds very similar to the failure I had last month with my MicroDrive. I got mine as part of the rebate with my D30. It was about 4 months old and had worked perfectly. For some reason I tried to download it to my Digital Wallet and the MicroDrive made a funny noise and hasn't worked since. My Digital Wallet hasn't been the same since. For some reason it doesn't want to hold charge now. I called Canon and they had me return it under warranty. I am still waiting for it's return. I can say that I used it for over a week at Walt Disney World and took over 300 photos a day along with taking the D30 on every ride and never had a problem. I also go along with the others replying to buy Memory Cards. Had one of them go through the wash and it still works perfectly.
gudac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:49 PM   #6
NHL

gudac

Just like with any hardisk (including your PC) shutting power while the disk is writing is very detrimental. With the Digital wallet as with my MindStor, be extra careful when downloading from the 1G microdrive because there's much more data that'll require longer time to write, and if the battery runs out in the middle of this process who know what happen... That's why I always check the battery indicator, or make sure my MindStor is AC powered when I download close to a Gig !!!

I'm not debating that flash are more reliable, but for the per MB cost and convenience it's hard to beat. Like you I love the daily 300+ shots as well @ Disney World over spring break, and my last islands hopping Carribean trip...

PS. losing power while writing to flash is no different...(time for Fdisk may be?)

[Edited on 7-14-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 14, 2002, 10:41 AM   #7
NHL

Gudac

It also sounds like the dead (or depleted weak) batteries in your Digital Wallet is what did the microdrive in... Try to replace them, but for some folks here have other use for the microdrives than just shooting pictures...
Old Jul 24, 2002, 7:54 AM   #8

so much for reliability on the microdrive. i think i'll stick with CF.

never had CF take a dump in the same situations that have been mentioned.

Steve-ridata has no support here in the US as far as i can see. what is the warrentee on it? how can they be contacted?

[Edited on 7-24-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:11 PM   #9

Hi,

strange news, that I'm reading here ... I use the 1 GB drive for about 15 months now without any problems.

But I think it should be possible to rescue most of the corrupted drives with a card-reader and harddisk tools.

Good Luck
Chris™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 3:52 PM   #10
NHL

It's foreign to me as well if one understands how a microdrive works... The only two moving parts are the disk bearing and the servo arm, and because they are so tiny their weight are negligible and should wear as well as any Shugart or Western Digital out there! Beside its magnetoresistive head floats on high speed air and never touch the platter(s). The microdrive is even spec'ed to withstanding 150G shock and close to a G in vibration while operating!

While I have inadvertentlty remove the drive under power before (it was taking too long on my HP1100 printer) while downloading, I just repeat this test again just for the sake of it without any adverse effect 10 times in a row...

Removing power while writing however will corrupt any memory including flash, and I wasn't dumb enough to try, but you're right any FDISK like tool should have worked... for CF flashes as well.