Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:52 PM   #1

I am wondering just how durable modern DSLR's are. I am very anal about taking care of my equipment (and everything else in life) but I wonder just how big of a knock a 30D can handle without sustaining a problem. I ask because while shooting today in a public/busy place my 30D took an elbow to the side from someone and it scared the bejesus out of me. Everything seems fine both in picture quality and exterior appearance but I am worried that a problem will surface down the road with picture quality or reliability. Does anyone know what kind of real world durability testing Canon does with their cameras ?

Thank You,

fz

fz4vgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2

Come on man, relax and if you so worried get some camera insurance. It is worth it and only cots $50 per yr here is USA for $3-5k worth of equipment.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3

Ummmm thanks.... I guess. Not really an answer to what I asked but thanks. I do have a 3 yearMack warranty.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:13 PM   #4

It's like the iPod scenario.

People don't want their precious iPods getting scratched therefore they hide them in super soft and fluffy cases - half the joy in owning an iPod is its sleek design, yet you're hiding it!

Do you really think modern DSLRs that cost consumers thousands will malfunction from a simple elbow jolt?

Stop worrying so much and have fun taking pictures!
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:07 PM   #5

Thanks Justin.

Yep, my iPod has hit the ground a couple of times now without anyprotection device and seems to be just fine.

As for the elbow to the camera..... it was pretty significant, not just a light elbow movement but more like a wrestling move even though I know the guy didn't do it intentionally.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:25 PM   #6

Has anyone ever bought there 30D from Best Buy? I am curious how much the extended warranty is.
HD650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:00 PM   #7

I have a 30D now and it appears more robust than my previous camera, a 300d. The 300D took a fall onto concrete from waist height and all the damage that happened was the pin coming out of the battery door. Im sure the 30D is quite robust although Im not intending another camera drop to find out:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote