Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:02 PM   #21

The bottom line for me is responsiveness and image quality.

So, weather proofing and anti-shake aside, the gold standard is still who sells the most responsive cam with the best image quality.

I think Canon has done a nice job in that department and certainly Nikon is very competitive.

But if a DSLR manufacturer wants to sell an entry level DSLR that is not responsive, or has less than stellar image quality (specially at high ISO's), then I don't think they will sway the high end / pro customer over to their offering.

So rather than worrying about whether the manufacturers are competing head to head on gadgetry, hope that they are competing on image quality and responsiveness.

So, whoever can sell a 32mp DSLR with almost zero shutter lag, excellent high ISO images, and great dynamic range for under $2,000 US dollars is going to make a lot of money.

--Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:14 AM   #22
NHL

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
But if a DSLR manufacturer wants to sell an entry level DSLR that is not responsive, or has less than stellar image quality (specially at high ISO's), then I don't think they will sway the high end / pro customer over to their offering.
I agree with you and so does everyone else here...

This is not their target segment - We've already agreed the pro or the captive 'L' audience will look down @ Sony(or Pentax/Oly) - Theses folks wouldn't touch theses underdogs with a 10 feet pole!!! :lol: :-):G

Sony introduces a low-end camera to capture the largest segment of the market: the Point & Shoot owners who are ready to move up to an 'affordable' dSLR system - The same folks who are used to IS in their digicams and are ready for the extra performance in a dSLR, i.e. any speed/ISO improvement are head and shoulder above what theses folks are accustomed to already!
They are not trying to re-capture existing owners of Nikon or Canons who are already "in the hole" or so to speak lost sale - At least not initially until they have a more pro-oriented model to offer or to keep their developing A100 base when theses folks will be ready to upgrade in a year or two...

-> If you look @ the previous spreadsheet - these folks will be ready to upgrade from the $ saving (cost of another body or lens), and still have more features than existing Canon/Nikon systems, mainly: IS, Anti-dust, Full-Time Manual overide on all lenses, and automatic dynamic range extension to name a few!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:18 AM   #23

I agree with you NHL.

They are going after the serious amateur who does not have an investment in Canon or Nikon lenses or preferences.

A friend of mine spent $800 on an intro DSLR and two lenses.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that if she ever got serious about photography, she'd find herself gettting increasingly less happy about the low light performance.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:55 PM   #24

If you spent $800 on a camera, aren't you already serious about photography? :-)

It'll be pretty interesting to see how the Alpha performs. But good ol' Nikon is also releasing something pretty soon. Maybe Canon will also react?

btw, NHL, you said you got the big MK? How does the sigma 12-24 look on FF? :shock:
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:34 PM   #25

I only skimmed the answers above and didn't see this info (some very well thought stuff, I might add. Damn I like steves... very little/no attiude or instulting and good back and forth debate!)

An interview a few years back with a Canon VP (I forget of what...) said that Canon does have a design for an anti-dust tech. I forget his reason exactly, but I think they hadn't used it yet because it hadn't hit the price point they want.

So maybe it will come. But I'm not holding my breath!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:22 PM   #26
NHL

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
A friend of mine spent $800 on an intro DSLR and two lenses.
You must be talking about the Oly system - I have a couple of friends who did the same after they found out about the Bigma 100-1000mm f/6.3 effective focal lenght!

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
btw, NHL, you said you got the big MK? How does the sigma 12-24 look on FF? :shock:
It looks really good, but heavy as hell - With the 10D it was front heavy, but now with the mkrII It feels like strappping an integrated rock to your hand (I use the wrist band since I don't see myself strapping the 1 series to my neck/shoulder at all) :-)

Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:36 AM   #27

NHL,
What you don't want to keep your local medical establishment in business?

I rarely wear my 1D MkIIn around my neck... damn is it heavy.
Especially with the 600mm f4 on it. :lol:

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:47 PM   #28
NHL

Eric s

I don't get it: Why do they included a silly 'skinny' camera strap with a 1D (when all other lighter consumer dSLRs are shipped with the wider camera strap)?
This automatically force you to visit the local camera store to buy the wrist band which is of course not in the box! :evil:

Which makes me wonder about the lens hood as well... (why buy theses low-cost accessories on-line?)
-> Someone at Canon must have sat down and figured this out all along