Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:33 PM   #1

How is this possible with the kit lens? I used to take shots like these with my Powershot A80:

I tried taking one with my Rebel, making the aperture as big as possible and setting the shutter speed to 30s, and it wouldn't let me take a photo. The camera wasn't shaking or anything, I set it down, facing the sky.

I'm a beginner, so bear with me here. I'm probably making a really stupid mistake, haha.

Any tips? I would love to take some night photos when I'm in the mountains next week.
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:05 PM   #2

there probably wasn't enough contrast in the sky for the camera to find focus, therefor it would not let you take the picture. switch your lens to manual focus and you will be able to take the shot. Use a tripod, mirror lock up, and a cable release and as long as you set your focus to infinity you should get a decent shot.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:01 PM   #3

You don't want wide aperture. your exif says f2.8 and 15sec ss. Use narrow aperture like f8, f11 or still narrower. Use manula focus like other poster mentioned.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:17 AM   #4

Alright, just got back from Colorado and was able to take some shots like these, thanks for the help:

I've never seen so many stars in my life
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:48 PM   #5

The first two shots are excellent. Very nice!

I tried to grab the EXIF data from your shot, but culd not. Would you mind sharing your settings for the first two imageS? Thx.
Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote